[Marxism] Nonviolent resistance?

Jeff Goodwin jgoodwin.nyu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:44:35 MST 2012

> http://www.veteransforpeace.org/pressroom/news/2012/12/13/veterans-peace-opp
> oses-military-intervention-syria
> >
> > From the above statement:
> >
> >The options are not limited to doing nothing or escalating warfare.
> >Nonviolent resistance to tyranny has proven
> >(
> http://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-15682-0/why-civil-resistance-works)
> >far more likely to succeed, and the successes far longer lasting.
> >Nations and individuals outside of Syria should do what they can to
> >facilitate the nonviolent pursuit of justice.

Thanks, Louis, for the link to SourceWatch and their damning info on the
> one author of the supplied reference.

Comrades may be interested to know that this book, *Why Civil Resistance
Works*, has created quite a buzz in the U.S. political-science profession,
winning several awards, including the Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award,
which the American Political Science Association gives each year to the
"best book" on politics or international affairs. It argues that nonviolent
resistance is twice as likely as armed struggle to overthrow a regime
(revolution with a small r). (The authors do not ask whether nonviolence or
armed struggle is more likely to overthrow a ruling class.) I have not yet
seen a left or Marxist review of the book.  Jeff G.