[Marxism] Nonviolent resistance?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 16 12:50:11 MST 2012

On 12/16/12 2:44 PM, Jeff Goodwin wrote:
> Comrades may be interested to know that this book, *Why Civil Resistance
> Works*, has created quite a buzz in the U.S. political-science profession,
> winning several awards, including the Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award,
> which the American Political Science Association gives each year to the
> "best book" on politics or international affairs. It argues that nonviolent
> resistance is twice as likely as armed struggle to overthrow a regime
> (revolution with a small r). (The authors do not ask whether nonviolence or
> armed struggle is more likely to overthrow a ruling class.) I have not yet
> seen a left or Marxist review of the book.  Jeff G.

Just in case my earlier reference wasn't clear, Peter Ackerman--the
hedge fund billionaire--is largely behind the NGO's that push this stuff:

Dr. Peter Ackerman is the founding Chair of the International Center on
Nonviolent Conflict in Washington, DC, and one of the world’s leading
authorities on nonviolent conflict. He holds a Ph.D. from The Fletcher
School, Tufts University, where he presently is the Chairman of the
Board, and he is co-author of two seminal books on nonviolent
resistance, A Force More Powerful: A Century of Nonviolent Conflict
(Palgrave/St. Martin's Press, 2001) and  Strategic Nonviolent Conflict:
The Dynamics of People Power in the Twentieth Century (Praeger, 1994).

  Dr. Ackerman was the Executive Producer of the PBS-TV documentary,
"Bringing Down a Dictator," on the fall of Serbian dictator Slobodan
Milosevic. It received a 2003 Peabody Award and the 2002 ABC News
VideoSource Award of the International Documentary Association. It aired
in the U.S. in March 2002, and subsequently in Australia, Canada, the
Netherlands, Portugal, Serbia/Montenegro, Spain, Sweden and Taiwan.

http://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/index.php/officers-and-staff/76-dr-peter-ackerman-founding-chair