[Marxism] young men trouble again (shooting incident)

shacht at aol.com shacht at aol.com
Sun Dec 16 15:05:34 MST 2012

Forgive me for returning to this topic, but I think it is important for a number of reasons: First, the prevalence or current recognition of phenomena such as Asperger's or the apparent increase of "rage killings" if an obvious social problem; second, the approach we take to these events must, of necessity be mediated through a Marxist perspective, not a mechanical application of categories that can only warp our understanding of what is a process of social interaction. In that context, the question is who feels the pressure of capitalism's current status? If there were a linear relationship between current economic reality and a "rage killing" on the part of an Asperger victim, it would be the parent the advocate who would do the killing, not the son.

Who is it that wages war with school and county authorities to get services for Asperger victims? Who has to go to an "Individual Education Plan" meeting with the school psychologist classroom teacher, special education director, and administrators to get proper services for their son? The school district after all, gets so much state or federal funding per pupil. It doesn't increase because a particular student has particular needs. But the California Education Code mandates the school provide the necessary learning environment for a special needs student. Now the district may have to put up a considerable amount of money - without the hope of getting it back elsewhere. It is built into the system for the bureaucracy to resist this.

So you spend thousands on a professional "advocate" who draws up your own version of an"IEP" for your son in opposition to that proposed by the school authorities. And you go back to war again. Some parents evenend up getting expensive "education attorneys" at $400.00 an hour to do battle with the school system. Its all part of the surcharge the capitalist state imposes on a parent who thinks of herself as middle class. I say "her" because so often it is the mother who has to act as the moving force, rather than the father, but that is another story.

And as all this is going on, and as you, having a teaching credential, have been forced to go to work forty hours a week for free in a special school for mentally challengded children in exchange for a waiver of a tuition that you can't afford so that you son can get necessary attention. And then you discover that the school district is sending someone else's kid to school in Utah because of his special needs and paying $40,000.00 a year for it, but they'll be damned if they'll help your son. And you go on paying for special doctors to look at medication issues, for special courses in "social skills" after school, eventually for therapists to evaluate your son ("He's going to kill himself some day." - thanks for the report doc), then get him a therapist to see  to avoid the massive depression that overtakes Asperger's kids, again at your own expense.

Or you can become an educational therapist. Go to UC again, get a certificate in, go out into the job market and discovery that UC has pumped so many "educational therapists" into the market that it suffers from a relative glut, relative because there are few who can pay the cost of your services. You have to join the Association of Educational Therapists to get any credibility, pay a "mentor" to supervise your 2,000 hours of work to merit your
"full membership" which doesn't mean a damn thing about ability just helps you attract students because someone has given you another initial to put after your name. U. C. sucked up all the tuition it could, the Association rips you off and you still have to hustle after "experts" wandering through town giving lectures, like Tony Attaway. My wife goes to all his lecture, I don't. He may be the best intentioned of men. He may be the best at what he does. But as long as the educational system does not provide for the disabilities of Asperger's patients, as long as the educational system is designed, in great measure, to ensure the smooth functioning of the captalist system and maintain social peace, the needs of special people will not be addressed. And that makes Tony Attaway's role twofold. On the one hand he is an important resourcel. On the other he is a parasite. All this may seem "bending the twig" rather far, but all this personal detail is includeed for a point:

    IF THERE IS A LINEAR OR DIRECT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CRISIS OF CAPITALISM IN DECLINE AND RESULTANT WITHDRAWAL OF THE SAFETY NET, ETC. - THEN THE PRESSURES ARE FELT BY THE PARENT NOT THE ASPERGER VICTIM, AND IT WOULD BE THE PARENT WHO IS DRIVEN INTO DESPAIR AND IT WOULD BE THE PARENT WHO SNAPS AND DOES THE SHOOTING, NOT THE SON.,

But is wasn't the son here, was it? That's what makes the instant Marxist knee-jerk reaction of "capitalism did it" so facile and weak. Agakin, I apologize if I have gone too far with personal reflection.