[Marxism] What is Really Happening in Syria Descent Into Holy War

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 10:35:24 MST 2012

On 12/17/12 11:47 AM, Ron Jacobs wrote:

> http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/12/17/descent-into-holy-war/

I know that Patrick Cockburn is a very good reporter but I have to
question this:

This misperception of the reality on the ground in Syria is fuelled in
part by propaganda, but more especially by inaccurate and misleading
reporting by the media where bias towards the rebels and against the
government is unsurpassed since the height of the Cold War. Exaggerated
notions are given of rebel strength and popularity.

---

In light of this:

In an interview with a pro-Assad Lebanese newspaper, Syria's vice
president called for a peaceful political resolution to the ongoing
conflict in his country, and suggested that President Bashar al-Assad
may not play a role in Syria's future – marking the highest-level
acknowledgment yet from the Syrian government that a victory for the
Assad regime looks increasingly unlikely.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2012/1217/Syria-s-VP-calls-for-peaceful-resolution-to-crisis-possibly-without-Assad

This would have been unimaginable a year ago.

Cockburn's reporting reminds me--sadly--of Robert Fisk's. There is a
tendency to idealize a movement that is free of Sunni sectarianism but
the main cause of such sectarianism has been the government's
responsibility from the start. It is like blaming Northern Irish
Catholic resistance to British rule for "extremism".