[Marxism] Questions About the "Boy Beheads Two Regime Officers"Video

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 17:12:53 MST 2012

Here's a comment on the beheading video posted to North Star by Brian
Slocum, a close observer of the Arab Spring:

To All and Sundry:
The video referred to in the Patrick Cockburn article that Tony links to
in his post was reported in the UK press several days ago. I was
involved in an exchange about it on the Guardian blog at the time, and
tried to check it out as fully as I could. My feeling was that it looked
suspect, but since I don’t have the necessary skills to do a systematic
evaluation I left it at that. So I am surprised to see this blank cheque
being issued for it by Cockburn – a journalist with great experience in
combat situations, whose judgement I would normally respect. Its not
clear to me what he bases his assessment on – he quotes the judgement of
“Nadim Houry, the deputy director for Human Rights Watch”. OK. I can
find no mention of this affair on the HRW website (but they don’t rush
to judgement on things); but there is also no mention of it in Houry’s
twitter feed. However he is caught up investigating n the Aqrab massacre
(something we need to keep our eye on).

On the video itself: There are several versions of this around; the
earliest seems to have been taken from a state tv channel which heavily
pixilated the images (quite understandably) but this meant that it was
possible that it was a fake. Eventually I located an unedited clip which
shows the whole process; but as Pravda pointed out, it appears that the
beheading was of a corpse, so the possibility of fakery is still there.
As I say, I don’t have the knowledge to inquire further, but I have
several questions that I hope those who do will answer in the coming days:

1. this is not the first “beheading” video to appear – I found two going
back 18 months on YouTube (one very likely a fake) and a couple more
recently. Why the stir over this one? Obviously its because of the
involvement of a child. But isn’t that a bit conveninet for the regime?

2. Provenance. Where exactly does this video come from? We know that one
version is from state tv. The unedited one I found had been posted from
Australia from a YouTube account opened expressly to post this one
video. But where to they get them from? There do exist jihadist websites
on which records of such actions are posted, but as I understand it,
they are usually accompanied by declamations and claims of
responsibilities. This video appears to have nothing on it but the
graphic incident. Why would a jihadist group issue such a truncated
version? And if there is a fuller version why did the distributors not
include the additional material? The video was of poor quality – looked
like mobile phone job- if it was taken by one of the participants as a
personal record, how did it leak out?. And why does no one seem to have
identified the victims?