[Marxism] What is Really Happening in Syria Descent Into Holy War

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 18 08:18:19 MST 2012

On 12/17/12 12:35 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> On 12/17/12 11:47 AM, Ron Jacobs wrote:
>>
>> http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/12/17/descent-into-holy-war/
>
> I know that Patrick Cockburn is a very good reporter but I have to
> question this:
>
> This misperception of the reality on the ground in Syria is fuelled in
> part by propaganda, but more especially by inaccurate and misleading
> reporting by the media where bias towards the rebels and against the
> government is unsurpassed since the height of the Cold War. Exaggerated
> notions are given of rebel strength and popularity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/russia-sends-warships-to-syria-to-prepare-for-evacuation-8424033.html

Russia sends warships to Syria to prepare for evacuation

The move is the first sign that Moscow is worried about rebel advances
on Damascus

John Hall
Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Russia has sent warships to the Mediterranean in preparation for an
evacuation of its citizens from Syria, according to a Moscow news agency.

The move is the first sign that Russia, a key ally of Syrian President
Bashar al-Assad, is worried that rebel advances now threaten the capital
Damascus.

Moscow’s actions come just a day after rebels seized the Yarmouk
Palestinian camp two miles from the city centre. The camp is considered
to be a possible springboard for a thrust into Damascus.

Although the anti-Assad opposition has waged a 21-month-old uprising,
its most significant military and diplomatic gains have come in last few
weeks.

It has recently captured a series of army installations across Syria and
secured formal recognition from Western and Arab states for its new
coalition.

Assad's allies have largely stood behind but Russia, his main arms
supplier, has appeared to waver this week, issuing contradictory
statements repeating opposition to Assad stepping down and airing
concerns about a possible rebel victory.

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted unnamed naval sources as saying
that two assault ships, a tanker and an escort vessel had left a Baltic
port for the Mediterranean Sea, where Russia has a port in Syria's
coastal city of Tartus.

“They are heading to the Syrian coast to assist in a possible evacuation
of Russian citizens ... Preparations for the deployment were carried out
in a hurry and were heavily classified,” the agency quoted the source as
saying.

It was not possible to independently verify the report, which came a day
after Russia confirmed that two citizens working in Syria were kidnapped
along with an Italian citizen.

In Damascus, activists reported overnight explosions and early morning
sniper fire around the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk.

The Yarmouk and Palestine refugee “camps” are actually densely populated
urban districts home to thousands of impoverished Palestinian refugees
and Syrians.

“The rebels control the camp but army forces are gathering in the
Palestine camp and snipers can fire in on the southern parts of
Yarmouk,” rebel spokesman Abu Nidal said by Skype.

“Strategically, this site is very important because it is one of the
best doors into central Damascus. The regime normally does not fight to
regain areas captured any more because its forces have been drained. But
I think they could see Yarmouk as a red line and fight back fiercely.”

Syria hosts half a million Palestinian refugees, most living in Yarmouk,
descendants of those admitted after the creation of Israel in 1948, and
has always cast itself as a champion of the Palestinian struggle,
sponsoring several guerrilla factions.

The battle in Yarmouk was one of a series of conflicts on the southern
edges of Damascus, as rebels try to choke off the capital to end 42
years of rule by the Assad family, who belong to the minority Alawite
sect, derived from Shi'ite Islam.

Both Assad's government and the mainly Sunni Muslim rebels have enlisted
and armed divided Palestinian factions as the uprising mushroomed from
street protests into a civil war.

Streams of refugees have fled Yarmouk, the Syrian Observatory for Human
Rights said. Many have headed to central Damascus while hundreds more
have gone across the frontier into Lebanon.

More than 40,000 people have died in Syria's conflict, activists say.
Around 200 died yesterday alone, according to the British-based
Observatory, which has a network of activists across Syria. Violence has
risen sharply, and with it humanitarian conditions are deteriorating.

The World Health Organisation said around 100 people were being admitted
daily to the main hospital of Damascus and that supplies of medicines
and anaesthetics were scarce.

It also reported a rise in cases of extreme hunger and malnutrition
coming from across Syria, including the rebel-dominated rural areas
outside the capital, where the army has launched punishing air raids.

Aid organisations say fighting has blocked their access into many
conflict zones, and residents in rebel-held areas in particular have
grappled with severe food and medical shortages.

Fighting raged across Syria today, with fighter jets and ground rockets
bombarding rebel-dominated eastern suburbs of the capital and army
forces shelling a town in Hama province after clashes reignited there
over the weekend.

Rebels overran at least five army sites in a new offensive in Hama
yesterday, opposition activists said.

Qassem Saadeddine, a member of the newly established rebel military
command, said on Sunday fighters had been ordered to surround and attack
army positions across Hama province. He said Assad's forces were given
48 hours to surrender or be killed.

In 1982 Hafez al-Assad, late father of the current ruler, crushed an
uprising in Hama city, killing up to 30,000 civilians.

Qatiba al-Naasan, a rebel from Hama, said the offensive would probably
bring retaliatory air strikes from the government but said that rebels
were keen to put more strain on the army as living conditions
deteriorated in the province.

“For sure there will be slaughter - if the army wants to shell us, many
people will die,” he said by Skype. “But at the same time our situation
is already getting miserable. ”

Syrian Vice President Farouq al-Sharaa said in a newspaper interview
published on Monday that neither Assad's forces nor rebels seeking to
overthrow him can win the war.

Sharaa, a Sunni Muslim in a power elite dominated by Assad's Alawites,
is not part of the president's inner circle directing the fight against
Sunni rebels but is the most prominent figure to say in public that
Assad would not prevail.