[Marxism] FW: Geopolitics of the Amazon

Richard Fidler rfidler_8 at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 18 15:53:08 MST 2012

My serial publication of a translation of Geopolitics of the Amazon,
by Bolivian V-P Álvaro García Linera, is now complete. Here are the
respective posts, aligned with his chapter headings:

I -
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.ca/2012/12/geopolitics-of-amazon-part-i.htm

    Introduction
    Revolution and counterrevolution
    The Amazon and patrimonial despotic power

II -
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.ca/2012/12/geopolitics-of-amazon-part-ii.ht
ml

    Capitalist subsumption of the Amazon indigenous economy
    The Territorio Indígena Parque Nacional Isiboro Sécure (TIPNIS)
    Plurinational State and dismantling of the Business-Patrimonial
power

III -
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.ca/2012/12/geopolitics-of-amazon-part-iii.h
tml

    The historic demand for construction of a road to unite the Amazon
valleys and plains
    IIRSA: The farce of empty chatter
    Characteristics of the Villa Tunari-San Ignacio de Moxos highway

IV -
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.ca/2012/12/geopolitics-of-amazon-part-iv.ht
ml

    Colonialist fallacies
    Who has the power in the Amazon?

V -
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.ca/2012/12/geopolitics-of-amazon-part-v-fin
al.html

    Once again on so-called "extractivism"

My English translation has also been published in Bolivia Rising:
http://boliviarising.blogspot.ca/, and is now being published on
Europe Solidaire Sans Frontières:
http://www.europe-solidaire.org/spip.php?article27323.

Comrades without the time or patience to read the entirety may still
find the latter two parts (IV and V) of particular interest, as they
directly address some important issues of current debate within the
left both in Latin America and internationally. The original text, in
Spanish, is at
http://www.vicepresidencia.gob.bo/IMG/pdf/libro_final.pdf.

On the TIPNIS dispute, I might note that the lawfully mandated
consulta (consultation) of the communities directly affected by the
proposed highway project, which was the subject of much controversy
and two recent marches by dissident indigenous activists, concluded
its proceedings on December 7. Of the 69 communities in question, 58
participated in the consulta, which began July 29. Of these, 53
approved the construction of the highway between Villa Tunari and San
Ignacio. See:
http://www.la-razon.com/nacional/Consulta-cierra-promesa-fondos-ecolog
ica_0_1738626180.html.

Richard