[Marxism] WMD: Should Syrians feel safer because the Left hears echoes of Iraq?

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 09:28:36 MST 2012

On 12/16/2012 4:14 PM, Jeff wrote:
>  First, that
> (practically) no ruling class has let itself be defeated without employing
> its entire arsenal in desperation.
Yes, I think its a little late in the day for Assad to retire gracefully
to a villa in SA.
> Second, that unlike virtually every other
> government or entity in the world (not that they are to be trusted), the
> Syrian regime hasn't ruled out using chemical weapons altogether.
Yes, they claim they would only use it against a foreign invader,
problem is they blame the insurgency on foreigners.
>  On the
> other hand, I could strongly argue that Assad would not use chemical weapons
> because it would be universally seen as beyond the pale (and which the US
> further denoted as a "red line")
So today's ABC poll that many more American's would support military
action if WMD were used may make there use less likely.
> and any remaining international support for
> him would evaporate, making that action counterproductive (for him).
On the other hand Putin's talk today about Syria sans Assad, might make
their use more likely.

All and all, I'm happy I'm writing about this from Venice Beach

Good stuff in your response, good break down on the "threat levels". The
whole WMD analogy breaks down as soon as they try to extend it beyond
one paragraph.