[Marxism] re[marxism] condemn imperialist wars in libya and syria

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 09:44:06 MST 2012

On 12/8/2012 5:58 PM, dan wrote:
> Revolutions are the product of many factors and an expression of class
> contradictions. So far, the basic social structure of Egypt, Tunisia
> and Libya does not seem to have changed much. The local comprador
> bourgeoisie still controls these countries together with the military
> and foreign corporations on the lookout for new regional opportunities
Is this the view from on high? Because I think people on the ground
would take a very different view, particularly in Libya were the
proletariat is now developing a vibrant political life were as before
they were locked down in a police state, and no matter how you cut it,
the same people aren't running things.
>   (Omani, Quatari, Lebaneese, French and UK companies are actually
> investing even more heavily in Egyptian and Tunisian construction
> companies because they have a very cheap workforce and high quality
> ciment - ideal for the real estate needs of the Arab Gulf emirates and
> the "Gulf boom".). Local Islamist parties appear to be doing a very
> good job of keeping the rabble in line, which is a godsend (no pun
> intended) for the powers that be
Again, that doesn't seem to be the case in Libya where the Brotherhood
lost the election.
> .
> As long as the low-paid and highly-exploited Egyptian masses continue
> to mobilize against Youtube videos or the Tunisian masses against
> Persepolis, as long as they see "Allah-hu Akbar" (God is Great) as a
> rallying cry, then any demagogue can harness their disaffection and
> any talk of radical egalitarianism becomes out of bounds.
I see this as an example of the Islamaphobic reaction of some on the
left that would never think of making the same claims against the us
black  civil rights movement no matter how many reverends were in the
leadership or how many amens were said at rallies.