[Marxism] Report on Civil DIsturbances in Bariloche, Argentina

John A Imani johnaimani3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:08:45 MST 2012

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Argentinazo of 2001, and while in
Buenos Aires City there was a big march, in "quiet, little" Bariloche here
we had a full scale inner city uprising, with a huge amount of looting.
This spread to several other points all across Argentina. Today seems to be
in calm, but it's just mid-day.

Bariloche is one of the most expensive cities to live in in Argentina and
the working class has suffered greatly from unemployment in construction,
commerce, etc. apparently there were promises of "Christmas baskets" which
were left unfulfilled; but whatever the origin or cause (could have been
provocation) it doesn't matter because the widespread participation of
hundreds showed that the unemployment and high cost of living causes real
neediness getting closer and closer to 2001. We met all day but could not
take the streets because of a police state situation (the "center left"
government of Christina Kirchner sent 400 border guards who are now
patrolling the city). We issued a statement which we got read on various
radio stations against the repression and the presence of the border guards
and police and for jobs and real solutions instead of attacks, and for an
immediate emergency wage increase plus cost of living increases, etc.. We
are also going to call for auto-organization of the unemployed just like in
2001.
So that occupied us yesterday, and today we will meet and see how to go
forward.
You can see coverage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20805042which has a
video, and look at 28 photos here: