[Marxism] Cenk Uygur on Obama's "Grand Bargain"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 22 08:19:12 MST 2012

(Cenk Uygur used to be on MSNBC, a cable news station that shills
shamelessly for Obama. He moved to Current TV, a station launched by Al
Gore that is a bit less compromised--particularly with Uygur's show that
airs at 7pm. Uygur argued along "lesser evil" lines prior to the
election but has been tough on Obama ever since. I like him quite a bit,
especially because he is a Turk. Insert smiley face here.)

Obama Will Ride to the Rescue... for Republicans
by Cenk Uygur

The Republicans have put themselves in a holy mess with this Plan B
debacle. They now have less than zero leverage. They are a national
laughingstock. A majority of the country now thinks they are "too
extreme." They just got walloped in the election. And with the tax cuts
set to expire the laws are rigged against them as well.

There is only one person who can rescue the Republican Party now --
Barack Obama. And he will. I have been saying for over two years now
that President Obama is dying to do the Grand Bargain. He will do it at
any cost. In fact, he actively wants to cut Social Security and
Medicare. He can't wait for that pat on the back from the establishment
when they finally call him post-partisan, above party politics, and a
statesman for screwing over his own voters. This is by far his greatest
wish.

I couldn't believe that people couldn't believe that President Obama
offered to cut Social Security again in this round of negotiations. What
are you still surprised at? The man has offered to cut these so-called
entitlements every time. When are you going to get it through your head
-- he wants to cut them!

Ok, I'm raining on everyone's parade here because this is the moment
when the partisans are supposed to be reveling in Republican failure.
The Republican Party is split and in tatters. Yes, but to what end? In
order for that to be relevant, the Democrats would now have to offer a
very different deal where the terms are changed in our favor. If they do
and they get a deal where taxes are actually raised on people making
above $250,000 and Social Security and Medicare are protected, then I
will be dead wrong. I will be wrong now and I will have been wrong for
all of these years. You can rub my face in it. And since the Democratic
partisans are now feeling triumphant, get that crow ready for me to eat.

Winning is different for Obama than it is for me and you. To us, winning
is passing progressive priorities. To him, it's passing a deal where he
seems like he is above party politics.

But it's not going to happen. I'm telling you this even in the
Republican Party's darkest hour, the president will still give them most
of what they want. My guess is that liberals will be stunned at the
concessions President Obama makes even when he had the Republicans in a
corner and totally defeated. Here's what you have to understand -- it's
because he doesn't want to "win." Winning is different for him than it
is for me and you. To us, winning is passing progressive priorities. To
him, it's passing a deal where he seems like he is above party politics.
In order to do that, he must cut entitlements (and corporate taxes, too,
by the way).

We're going to find out who is right soon enough. I just wanted to make
sure you knew what was coming ahead of time, so that you understand
President Obama's real motivation. Understand that next time around, and
remember he's still here for another four years, asking the president
politely doesn't get you anything. He isn't a progressive in his heart,
he is an establishment pleaser. The only way he acts like a progressive
is if you make him. Next time, instead of applauding so much, put all of
the pressure on the world on him. That's what Republicans do all of the
time and it is what will allow them snatch victory from the jaws of
defeat. Mark my words.

I think we can all at least agree that if ever there was a time to press
progressive priorities this would be it. So, this will be a true test of
who he is and what he believes. Let's see what he does. You shall know
him by his works.

© 2012 Cenk Uygur

Cenk Uygur is host of The Young Turks on Current TV as well as the host
and co-founder of The Young Turks online which is the largest news show
on the Internet. Uygur is the former host of MSNBC Live and has appeared
numerous times on CNN, CNN Headline News, E! Entertainment Channel, Al
Jazeera, ABC News, Voice of America and NPR.