[Marxism] William Lorent Katz on "Lincoln"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 24 19:04:18 MST 2012

On 12/24/12 8:30 PM, michael yates wrote:
> So I read a bit of this review, got bored, and looked at the bottom
> of the page to see how the author is identified. Seems Katz has
> written at least 40 books and edited 212 more. I kid you not.  At
> just three months per book, this is 636 months or 63 years.

Well, since he graduated from Syracuse University in 1950 (back then it
was considered a second-rate "party" school), he must be 84 or so. Paul
Buhle, who is a year older than me, has written 35 books so he is even
more prolific. Also Katz was a high school teacher all his life so I
doubt that writing all those books was designed to get him to the top of
the academic food chain. On his website, there's a blurb from Howard
Zinn who calls Katz one of his favorite writers, for what that's worth.
If I had my choice between president of some academic association and
getting that kind of complement from Zinn, I'd take the latter. But then
again what do I know.