[Marxism] Quentin Tarantino accused of ‘Blaxploitation’ by Spike Lee... again

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 25 14:20:43 MST 2012

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/quentin-tarantino-accused-of-blaxploitation-by-spike-lee-again-8431183.html

Quentin Tarantino accused of ‘Blaxploitation’ by Spike Lee... again

Lee restarts feud with director over excessive use of the ‘n-word’ in
latest film

Tim Walker
Tuesday, 25 December 2012

It is one of the ugliest and longest-running feuds in Hollywood, and
Spike Lee has re-ignited his grudge with fellow director Quentin
Tarantino over the latter’s most recent movie.

Tarantino’s Django Unchained, a violent, blackly comic Western in which
a freed slave takes bloody revenge on a plantation owner, was released
in the US yesterday. According to a review in Variety, it contains “no
fewer than 109 instances of the ‘N word,’ most of them deployed either
for laughs or alliteration.”

Over the weekend, Lee tweeted: “American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone
Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust.” Lee, whose films include Malcolm
X and Do the Right Thing, told Vibe magazine he would not watch
Tarantino’s work as: “It’s disrespectful to my ancestors.”

The row between the filmmakers began 15 years ago, after the release of
Tarantino’s Jackie Brown, a homage to Blaxploitation movies, which
included some 38  n-words. “I have a definite problem with Quentin
Tarantino’s excessive use of the n-word,” Lee said at the time. “I think
something is wrong with him... It’s just the n-word, the n-word, the
n-word.”

Tarantino has also been forced to defend Django Unchained – nominated
for five Golden Globe Awards – from suggestions that its violent scenes
might inspire real-world violence, such as the Sandy Hook shootings.
“It’s a Western,” he told reporters at a press showing. “Give me a break.”

War over words: Directors’ feud

16 December 1997 Enmity between Lee and Tarantino first surfaced when
Lee used an interview with the Daily Variety newspaper to criticise
Tarantino’s use of the n-word in Jackie Brown. In it he said: “I’m not
against the word... and I use it, but Quentin is infatuated with the
word. What does he want? To be made an honorary black man? I want
Quentin to know that all African-Americans do not think that word is
trendy or slick.” No. of n-words: 38

26 December 1997 Tarantino hit back, saying: “As a writer, I demand the
right to write any character in the world that I want to write. And to
say that I can’t do that because I’m white … that is racist. Lee then
said: “I never said that he can not use that word – I’ve used that word
in many of my films – but I think something is wrong with him... He says
he grew up on Blaxploitation films and that they were his favourite
films but he has to realise that those films do not speak to the...
African-American experience. I mean the guy’s just stupid.

22 December 2012 Lee denounced Django Unchained on Twitter, saying:
“American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A
Holocaust.”

110+ The number of n-words in Django Unchained