[Marxism] Schoolmarm grammar

dan d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 28 19:17:55 MST 2012

And once more, I am WRONG. Having looked up HANG in an etymological
dictionary of the English language, I once more realize that I should
check my facts before shooting off my mouth.

 >>"

hang (v.)
<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hang&allowed_in_frame=0> Look
up hang at Dictionary.com <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hang>
    a fusion of O.E. hon "suspend" (transitive, class VII strong verb;
    past tense heng, pp. hangen), and O.E. hangian (weak, intransitive,
    past tense hangode) "be suspended;" also probably influenced by O.N.
    hengja "suspend," and hanga "be suspended." All from P.Gmc. *khang-
    (cf. O.Fris. hangia, Du. hangen, Ger. hängen), from PIE *kank- "to
    hang" (cf. Goth. hahan, Hittite gang- "to hang," Skt. sankate
    "wavers," L. cunctari "to delay;" see also second element in
    Stonehenge
    <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Stonehenge&allowed_in_frame=0>).
    As a method of execution, in late Old English (but originally
    specifically of crucifixion).

    Hung emerged as pp. 16c. in northern England dialect, and hanged
    endured only in legal language (which tends to be conservative) and
    metaphors extended from it (I'll be hanged). Teen slang sense of
    "spend time" first recorded 1951; hang around "idle, loiter" is from
    1830, and hang out (v.) is from 1811. Hang fire (1781) was
    originally used of guns that were slow in communicating the fire
    through the vent to the charge. To let it all hang out "be relaxed
    and uninhibited" is from 1967."<<