[Marxism] Schoolmarm grammar

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Dec 28 21:51:53 MST 2012

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 04:08:08 +0100
dan <d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> And I'm also wrong about DIVE which is a regular verb (preterit DIVED)
> which developed, in some British and American dialects, the preterit
> DOVE by analogy with DRIVE/DROVE.

Yeah, that's one of the really funny things about English. You would
expect the strong verbs to get remodelled on the weak, since the latter
is the 'productive' part of the morphological system. But there are plenty
of cases where formerly weak verbs have been remodelled as if they
were strong.

Sometimes I suspect the reason is partly phonetic -- 'dived' has a
nasty voiced labioalveolar consonant cluster, for example.

But this doesn't apply to hon/hangian, which were two different
words (albeit with a remote shared root) for as long ago as we have
anything that's recognizably English. Different semantics too --
one transitive, the other not.

I never heard any other preterite for 'shit' than 'shat', which is
good Anglo-Saxon. Are there really people who say 'shitted'?  Why,
for Grimm's sake?