[Marxism] Schoolmarm grammar

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Dec 28 22:35:58 MST 2012

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:14:56 -0800
Ken Hiebert <knhiebert at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Granted that English is full of inconsistencies and odd usages and
> granted that "correct" usage changes over time, we might as well use
> the "correct" usage unless it makes us sound snooty or pretentious.
> I don't think "hanged" would strike most people as odd or
> pretentious, so we might as well use it as the past tense of hang
> when referring to capital punishment.

Not sure at whom this is directed, but I for one repudiate
completely the whole idea of correct and incorrect usage.
That's the point of the subject heading.

And of course the 'inconsistencies' and 'odd usages' (odd by
what standards?) of English are at least half the charm of
English philology.

--
--

Michael J. Smith