[Marxism] The anthropology wars

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 30 07:57:52 MST 2012

http://monthlyreview.org/2012/12/01/the-anthropology-wars

The Anthropology Wars
by Eliza Jane Darling

David Price, Weaponizing Anthropology: Social Science in the Service of
the Militarized State (AK Press, 2011), 208 pages, $15.95, paperback.

In 1929 Bronislaw Malinowski, the primogenitor of twentieth-century
anthropology, published an article extolling the merits of his science
in the process of colonial administration. “My own opinion, as that of
all competent anthropologists, is that indirect or dependent rule is
infinitely preferable,” he held. “In fact, if we define dependent rule
as the control of Natives through the medium of their own organization,
it is clear that only dependent rule can succeed. For the government of
any race consists rather in implanting in them ideas of right, of law
and order, and making them obey such ideas.”1 Malinowski’s piece,
entitled “Practical Anthropology,” appeared in the journal of the
International African Institute. It was essentially a fundraising pitch
for the Institute, which was seeking a subsidy from the Rockefeller
Foundation by demonstrating the workaday virtues of what was until then
an obscure discipline with little apparent importance to the vast powers
stretching outward from the heart of capitalism to envelope the world.

(clip)