[Marxism] NYC subway murderer - "I hate Muslims!"

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Dec 30 10:16:25 MST 2012

Louis Proyect wrote

On 12/30/12 11:19 AM, Dennis Brasky wrote:

    After Islamophobic hate crime
    <http://www.marxmail.org/msg107812.html#> in New York City, mayor
    says 'keep death in
    perspective'
    http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/**after-islamophobic-**perspective.html<http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/after-islamophobic-perspective.html>

I suspect mental illness <http://www.marxmail.org/msg107812.html#>. The
woman was quoted as saying that the killing was revenge against the
"Hindus and Muslims" responsible for 911.
"I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and
Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been
beating them up," Menendez told police, according to the district
attorney's office.

But in addition to the promotion of Islamophobia and hate crimes as the
cause that the article focuses on, there's the almost total neglect of
the mentally ill. I recall when Governor Reagan shut down the state
mental hospitals in California, which granted were hell holes because
understaffed, underfunded and ill-equipped to treat mental illness,
stating that the local communities would thenceforth provide facilities
instead - which of course they didn't - and now the mentally ill walk
the streets ignored, or get shoved in jails and prisons, often in
23-hour isolation in "secure housing units" if they act out and are then
released in righteous rage.