[Marxism] Is History A Coherent Story By Helena Sheehan

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Dec 30 11:02:21 MST 2012

http://criticallegalthinking.com/2012/02/20/is-history-a-coherent-story/
Critical Legal Thinking – Law & the Political –
Is History A Coherent Story?
By Helena Sheehan

Professor Helena Sheehan is an academic philosopher, historian of
science, and writer on communication studies, politics, and
philosophical (particularly Marxist) subjects. Sheehan teaches as a
member of the Communications Department at Dublin City University and
has been a visiting professor at the University of Cape Town.

Is his­tory a coher­ent story? This is not the sort of ques­tion that is
likely to be either asked or answered in the milieu I nor­mally inhabit.
In the uni­ver­sit­ies of Europe and North Amer­ica (and much of the
rest of the world as well), the agenda has veered away from ask­ing such
big ques­tions. Aca­demic atten­tion is focused on much nar­rower and
more prac­tical con­cerns in a scen­ario where both teach­ing and
research are more and more pre­cisely aligned to the demands of the
mar­ket. Com­mer­cial­isa­tion is the strongest force shap­ing the
evol­u­tion of uni­ver­sit­ies to dev­ast­at­ing effect. Major aca­demic
dis­cip­lines, such as his­tory and philo­sophy are being increas­ingly
mar­gin­al­ised. In some insti­tu­tions it has gone as far as abolition.

In those insti­tu­tions, where his­tory and philo­sophy sur­vive, there
is not likely to be much atten­tion given to philo­sophy of his­tory
either. His­tory depart­ments tend toward the small can­vas rather than
the lar­ger one and his­tori­ography is a minor­ity pur­suit. The
intel­lec­tual cur­rents dom­in­at­ing philo­sophy depart­ments,
vari­et­ies of neo­pos­it­iv­ism and post­mod­ern­ism, tend to
repu­di­ate big ques­tions and his­tor­ical nar­rat­ives, even that of
the his­tory of philo­sophy. Post­mod­ern­ism, with its pro­clam­a­tion
of the end of grand nar­rat­ives, has rep­res­en­ted a
crys­tal­lisa­tion of this tend­ency. How­ever, the pro­hib­i­tion on
over­arch­ing his­tor­ical schemes has been a fea­ture of most other
philo­soph­ical cur­rents of the past cen­tury: logical pos­it­iv­ism,
lin­guistic ana­lysis, prag­mat­ism, exist­en­tial­ism,
phe­nomen­o­logy, poststructuralism.

Stand­ing opposed have been the sur­viv­ing grand nar­rat­ives of the
pre­mod­ern era, pre­dom­in­antly those of the great world reli­gions,
such as chris­tian­ity and islam. There has also been the for­mid­able
grand nar­rat­ive of the mod­ern era: marx­ism. These have been, not
only under external attack, but sub­ject to tend­en­cies erod­ing them
from within, but they still stand and frame the con­cep­tu­al­isa­tion
of his­tor­ical exper­i­ence for their adherents.

Nev­er­the­less what dom­in­ates the world’s uni­ver­sit­ies is a
dis­course that is mov­ing from query­ing and under­min­ing large scale
his­tor­ical nar­rat­ives to pro­ceed­ing with another agenda while
ignor­ing them. How has this happened?

The rise and fall of grand narratives

Let me retrace my steps. Let me tell the story of how I have related to
the ques­tion: Is his­tory a coher­ent story? Let me unfold a
nar­rat­ive of the rise and fall of grand narratives.

I was born into a grand nar­rat­ive, a spec­tac­u­lar one. No one asked
if his­tory was a coher­ent story in that world, because it was simply
assumed that it was. It was unthink­able that it wasn’t. God cre­ated
the world. He made us to know, love and serve him in this world and to
be happy with him in heaven. Christ died for our sins, even before we
had time to com­mit them. The Cath­olic Church was the repos­it­ory of
abso­lute truth. Moreover, we lived in the USA, the greatest coun­try in
the his­tory of the world. A good cath­olic was a good amer­ican.
Com­mun­ism was the enemy. Com­mun­ists rejec­ted God and demo­cracy.
Com­mun­ists were evil, not only in a polit­ical sense, but in a
cos­mo­lo­gical sense too. They had to be defeated. God was on our side.
There was no ques­tion­ing, no doubt, about any of this in the world in
which I grew up. No one I knew thought oth­er­wise. No one I knew raised
any ques­tion about it.

Then it began to unravel. Crit­ical ques­tion­ing began to under­mine it
for me. For Goethe, the greatest theme of human his­tory is the
con­flict of scep­ti­cism with faith. It was not only the tra­ject­ory
of my own intel­lec­tual devel­op­ment, but, for­tu­nately for me, it
coin­cided with a surge of crit­ical ques­tion­ing in the wider
cul­ture. One force was Vat­ican 2 cath­oli­cism, which had the effect
of relativ­ising what was thought to be abso­lute. I took this pro­cess
far fur­ther than the church inten­ded, with one doc­trine after another
fall­ing away, and then I turned to the ques­tion of the exist­ence of
God. I went through all the argu­ments and struggled to con­tinue to
believe, until it was no longer pos­sible. This brought my whole world
view into severe crisis.

It was not only the ortho­dox­ies of the church, but the ortho­dox­ies
of the state too, that had to ques­tioned. Here my own ques­tion­ing was
boos­ted by the rise of the new left. The civil rights move­ment at home
and Viet­nam war abroad set my loy­al­ties off on another course. A new
vocab­u­lary came to our lips when we spoke of the nation now, words we
never used when we were grow­ing up, words not spoken in our schools:
imper­i­al­ism, cap­it­al­ism, racism, sex­ism, patriarchy.

The whole grand nar­rat­ive within which my life had been lived until
then was shattered. What to do? At first this exper­i­ence was so
dev­ast­at­ing that I was at a loss. I felt in free fall, deprived of
all tra­di­tions, devoid of all mean­ing. Exist­en­tial­ism spoke to
this ali­en­a­tion, this facing into the abyss, and kept me going for a
time, but I needed some­thing more pos­it­ive, more sys­temic. I did not
accept the argu­ments against philo­soph­ical sys­tems, against
his­tor­ical schemas. I could not live my life without a pic­ture of the
world in which I was liv­ing it, without being able to see my story
within a lar­ger story. I had to ask, if the world did not come to be in
the way that I thought, how did it come to be? If my coun­try was not
what I thought it to be, what was it? What altern­at­ives to it exis­ted
or could be envis­aged? The answers to these ques­tions were not
imme­di­ately evid­ent, but thank­fully I lived in a time and place
where oth­ers too were search­ing. I stud­ied philo­sophy, his­tory,
polit­ics, soci­ology with extraordin­ary intens­ity and I
par­ti­cip­ated in the great move­ments of my time with great passion.

Altern­at­ive narratives

It was a time of great fer­ment, a time when hege­monic nar­rat­ives
were met by counter-narratives. I dis­covered his­tory from below. ‘Who
built Thebes of the 7 gates? asked Ber­tholt Brecht in his great poem
Ques­tions from a worker who reads. I looked again at the his­tory we
had been taught and turned it upside down. I dis­covered the his­tory of
class struggle from the exper­i­ence of the peas­antry and
pro­let­ariat, the his­tory of pat­ri­archy from a point of view of
women, the his­tory of col­on­isa­tion from per­spect­ive of the
col­on­ised, the his­tory of slavery from the pos­i­tion of slaves, even
the his­tory of thanks­giv­ing for the indi­ans and even the tur­keys. I
looked at the whole his­tory of the world from the point of view of
those who labored from below, as opposed to those who ruled from above.

I needed a new world view, a frame­work for put­ting everything I saw
into per­spect­ive. I needed a new grand nar­rat­ive, a plot within
which all sub­plots fell into place. It was not enough for the story to
be coher­ent. It had to be cred­ible too. Once my inher­ited story came
into con­tact with altern­at­ive stor­ies, there was a new pro­cess
under­way. It was so com­plex. Not only did one coher­ent grand
nar­rat­ive have to weigh up against other coher­ent grand nar­rat­ives,
but the ques­tion of cri­teria of cred­ib­il­ity came into play. Adding
to the com­plex­ity were the­or­ies that no his­tor­ical schema could be
cred­ible, the­or­ies that his­tory was not a coher­ent story,
the­or­ies that we had come to the end of grand nar­rat­ives. It was
just ‘one damned thing after another’ with no rhyme or reason. It was ‘a
tale told by an idiot sig­ni­fy­ing noth­ing’. Para­dox­ic­ally, these
too were grand narratives.

I could not accept this. I could not live my life without a sense of the
story with which I was liv­ing it. But what was the story? How did the
world come to be? How had our spe­cies appeared on the scene? Why did
human soci­et­ies trans­form them­selves from one era to the next? Were
there forces of his­tory under­ly­ing all dis­par­ate data of times,
places and events? Was there a rhythm, a pat­tern, a plot or was it
really just a sur­real play of par­tic­u­lars? I was search­ing for
found­a­tions in a milieu hos­tile to found­a­tion­al­ism. I sought the
ground­ing for a new syn­thesis amidst mul­tiple pres­sures against the
very idea of a new synthesis.

The sheer com­plex­ity of con­tem­por­ary exper­i­ence has pro­duced a
pleth­ora of philo­soph­ical move­ments eschew­ing in no uncer­tain
terms the very idea of such a syn­thesis. I read and con­sidered all
such argu­ments and argued vig­or­ously against their expo­nents, but I
did assim­il­ate whatever I believed to be of value in logical
pos­it­iv­ism, lin­guistic ana­lysis, prag­mat­ism, phe­nomen­o­logy,
post­mod­ern­ism and refined my own con­cepts in the pro­cess.
Nev­er­the­less, I believed that any philo­sophy lack­ing the thrust
toward total­ity ulti­mately became part of the prob­lem rather than its
solu­tion. Up to a point, such philo­sophies high­lighted the
com­plex­it­ies and dif­fi­culties in com­ing to terms with the
intric­a­cies of con­tem­por­ary exper­i­ence, but bey­ond a cer­tain
point, they obstruc­ted a deeper com­ing to terms and inhib­ited a more
dar­ing grasp of its meaning.

Marx­ism as philo­sophy of history

What did impress me was marx­ism. What set marx­ism apart from all other
modes of thought was that it is a com­pre­hens­ive world view groun­ded
in empir­ical know­ledge and socio-historical pro­cess. His­tory has a
plot. It is a more or less coher­ent story. All eco­nomic policies,
polit­ical insti­tu­tions, legal codes, moral norms, sexual roles,
aes­thetic tastes, thought pat­terns and even what passes as com­mon
sense, are products of a par­tic­u­lar pat­tern of socio-historical
devel­op­ment rooted in the trans­form­a­tion of the mode of
pro­duc­tion. It is not a pre-determined pat­tern or a closed pro­cess.
Although there is a determ­in­ate pat­tern of inter­con­nec­tions, the
pre­cise shape of socio-historical devel­op­ment is only dis­cern­ible
post factum, for his­tory is an open pro­cess, in which there is real
adven­ture, real risk and real sur­prise, a pro­cess in which there are
no inev­it­able vic­tor­ies. His­tory is intel­li­gible, but not
predictable.

full
http://criticallegalthinking.com/2012/02/20/is-history-a-coherent-story/