[Marxism] Paul Le Blanc responds to Pham Binh's ....

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 2 14:49:46 MST 2012

On 2/2/12 4:38 PM, Einde O'Callaghan wrote:
> During all my years in the British IS/SWP and since in the various
> incarnations of the tradition here in Germany I've never experienced
> anything like this.

That's probably true but there's more to politics than avoiding stark
raving lunacy.

> I tend to think that such practices have roots in adverse objective
> circumstances and attempts to force the pace through voluntarist action.
> Formal political theories may strengthen or weaken such tendencies, but
> they aren't the cause.

All I can say is that the American ISO was expelled from the British-led
"workers international" on the flimsiest of grounds, so much so that
Kevin Murphy, the fellow who won the Deutscher prize a couple of years
ago, went around referring to its leader as Stalinnicos.

As I have tried to make clear, the Cliffites were nowhere as bad as the
Cannonites but it's hard not to be.

Anyhow, the goal is not to avoid becoming a deranged sect-cult but in
becoming a *genuine* vanguard party. In my estimation, it is a huge
mistake to organize parties on the basis that Tony Cliff laid out.