[Marxism] "200" dead in Syria - but who were they?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 4 06:29:46 MST 2012

On 2/3/12 5:55 PM, Eli Stephens wrote:
> Today's news from Syria "informs" (or misinforms, depending on what the
> actual facts are) us that 200 "people" were killed in the Syrian city of
> Homs by a government assault using tanks and machine guns. I've written
> before about the "source" of this "information," which is basically an
> organization based in London. But let's assume for the moment that this
> information is completely true and ask a few more questions:

It would help if Syria did not have a ban on independent reporting. I
have a lot of respect for Anthony Shadid, who friends we have in common
advise me that he is sympathetic to the left, but he is forced to report
from Beirut:

NY Times February 4, 2012
Death Toll Is Said to Rise in Syrian City of Homs
By ANTHONY SHADID

BEIRUT — Syria opposition leaders raised the death toll to 260 in a
military assault Saturday on the ravaged central city of Homs, an attack
that opposition leaders described as the government’s deadliest in the
nearly 11-month-old uprising.

Reports were contradictory, given the difficulty of communications with
Homs, and the Syrian government flatly denied the toll, calling it an
attempt at propaganda ahead of a United Nations Security Council meeting
Saturday on Syria. But videos smuggled out of the city and reports by
opposition activists showed a harrowing barrage of mortar shells and
gunfire that left hundreds more wounded in the city.

“It’s an unprecedented attack,” said Mohammed Saleh, an opposition
activist from Homs who recently fled to a nearby town to escape the
mounting strife there.

As word spread of the barrage, opposition protests broke out Saturday at
Syrian embassies around the world, including Egypt, Germany and Kuwait.

Accounts by activists, independently basing their information on what
they described as contacts in Homs, said the barrage was apparently
unleashed after defectors attacked two military checkpoints and
kidnapped soldiers. One activist put the number of abducted soldiers at
13, another 19. They suggested that enraged commanders then ordered the
assault, which lasted from about 9 p.m. Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday,
focusing on the neighborhood of Khaldiya. Five other neighborhoods were
also assaulted.

At one point, a resident said, people left the top floors of residential
buildings, fearful that shelling they described as random would wreck
their homes.

The precise number of dead was almost impossible to obtain. The Syrian
National Council, which has sought to act as an umbrella group for the
opposition, said more than 260 were killed. The London-based Syrian
Observatory for Human Rights said the toll in Khaldiya and the other
neighborhoods was 217. Both groups, along with other activists, said the
wounded numbered in the hundreds, though again, there was no specific
number.

One opposition activist said the Syrian military suffered casualties, too.

“It’s a real massacre in every sense of the word,” said a resident in
Khaldiya, who gave his name as Abu Jihad. “I saw bodies of women and
children lying on roads beheaded. It’s horrible and inhuman. It was a
long night helping people get to hospitals.”

As it has since the uprising started, the Syrian government accused
media and activists of fantastically exaggerating the toll. In a report
Saturday on the Syrian state news agency, SANA, it complained of
“frenetic media campaigns against Syria disseminating false information
about Syria Army shelling of civilians in different blamed Arab
satellite channels for inflaming the strife in different Syrian
governorates.”

The agency, citing its correspondents across the country, declared that
“life is normal in the Damascus countryside, Hama and Homs.”

Near the border with Lebanon, in western Syria, Homs has been a critical
hub of the uprising, which stands as one of the bloodiest of the Arab
world’s revolts. The city mirrors Syria’s own diversity, with a Sunni
Muslim majority that has backed the uprising. But at least three
neighborhoods are populated largely by Alawites, a heterodox strain of
Islam that provides much of the leadership of President Bashar
al-Assad’s government.

In past months, sectarian strife there has dangerously intensified,
offering a grim window on what a broader civil war could look like in
Syria. Though protests started peacefully there, defectors have begun
operating checkpoints, and tit-for-tat kidnappings and killings have
paralyzed parts of the city, where something as simple as the choice of
a television news station can belie a person’s loyalty. Some activists
have tried to bridge the sectarian divide, but even they fear the
violence may overwhelm those attempts.

“The army has weapons, and the people have weapons,” one opposition
activist said on condition of anonymity, recounting Saturday’s
bloodshed. “Syria is finished for me. It is a civil war and nothing will
save us anymore.”

Funerals took place Saturday in Homs, as a relative calm was reported in
the city. At one funeral for 20 people, a resident said, armed defectors
were offering protection.

The bloodshed reverberated around the world, demonstrating the power of
social media. As reports of the mounting toll were carried by Twitter
and Facebook, protests gathered at Syrian missions in the Middle East
and Europe. As many as 100 demonstrators stormed the Syrian embassy in
Cairo at about 3 a.m. Saturday, tearing its iron gate off it hinges,
burning parts of the first floor, and demolishing much of the
ambassador’s office. By the morning, the floors were littered with
broken glass, furniture that was torn apart or burned and the detritus
of office equipment.

It was the second time in two weeks protesters had breached the embassy,
but the previous attack had destroyed not much more than framed pictures
of Mr. Assad.

Amman Arsan, the embassy’s media counselor, said he saw no connection
between the events in Homs and what he called “the terrorist attack” on
the Cairo mission. "The Syrian army is conducting an operation against
terrorist groups in Hama and Homs,” he said. “This is a crime. Nothing
in the whole world justifies this.”

The simultaneous attacks on Syrian embassies in Berlin, Kuwait, Amman,
Cairo and elsewhere, he said, was evidence of a coordinated assault by
Syria’s enemies.

Nada Bakri and Hwaida Saad contributed reporting from Beirut, and David
D. Kirkpatrick from Cairo.