[Marxism] privatizing the grid--a local perspective

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 7 09:32:30 MST 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 2:28 PM, DW wrote:

> Shane,
> Lets talk about some of these costs. That solar PV is coming down in
> price
> is now doubt true. Hasn't dropped too much in terms of installation
> but
> price per PV 'cell' has indeed dropped as most of the manufacturing
> has
> been dumped into China (and they can deal with the hazardous waste
> problem
> as well).

That's very short-term.  Enormous technological progress is under way
(think thin film) and will surely accelerate with increased production.

> But then you come back and start talking about hydrogen storage
> solutions as a way of capturing excess energy...You can't just
> 'size' up a hydrogen storage
> tank. The strength of any tank goes down with every increase in volume
> (some formula I'm sure list engineer Rod can come up with pretty
> easily
> enough). The problem with hydrogen is that it the most diffuse,
> lightest
> element and .. .escapes through the molecules in any tank regardless
> of
> what it's made up. You can't store it!

That's very short-term.  Enormous technological progress is under way
(think carbon nanofibers) and will surely accelerate as the need for
storage of decentralized solar-energy production develops.

> There is a reason that no one is really talking about a hydrogen
> economy
> anymore Shane, not like they were 10 years ago...

Because capital decided (see Kyoto and Copenhagen) to do nothing about
global warming in order to protect its enormous investment in the
obsolete and obsolescent technologies of coal/oil/nuclear/gas/
hydroelectric.  The Chinese, in particular, will do anything rather
than admit the colossal waste of the stupid and disastrous Three
Gorges Dam project.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64