[Marxism] Graeber responds to Hedges

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 9 12:04:41 MST 2012

On 2/9/12 1:55 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> Lou, that's silly. I'd challenge you to provide a quote, but have long
> given up any hope of you engaging responsibly in this discussion. As I've
> said, you're entitled to irrational grudges (and might could name one or
> two of mine); I'm under no obligation to take them seriously.

I guess I am still a little annoyed that you told LBO-Talk subscribers
that I had some kind of penis-envy of the anarchist-led Occupy movement
and was sore because it was not led by "Marxist-Leninists" when just
about everybody knows what my views are, especially when you continue to
make me sound hostile to anarchism when it the fucking black bloc that I
despise, a tactic invented by autonomist Marxists actually:

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/encounters-with-occupy-wall-street/

All of Sustar’s points are correct but somewhat beside the point. In all
of the struggles he alludes to above, including the ones going back to
Seattle, there is a real disconnect between young activists who are
seeking fundamental social change and groups like the ISO that see
themselves as somehow better qualified to lead such struggles because
they have achieved some kind of superior understanding of Marxism or
because they are consciously following the example of Lenin or Trotsky
rather than the stumbling and tentative experiments of the young people
in Liberty Park.

There is a very strong possibility that over the next five years or so
the mass movement that is taking shape today might take on epic
proportions and mount a serious challenge to the powers-that-be. It will
be absolutely incumbent upon Marxists to figure out a way to relate to
that movement not as learned professors chiding it from above but as
dedicated participants whose loyalties are to the movement rather than
their own group. If they can meet that challenge, the movement will be
all the more powerful as a result. If they function in a narrow and
self-interested manner, they will have nothing to offer. As someone who
has been impressed with the relative open-mindedness and transparency of
the ISO, I wish them well.