[Marxism] Graeber responds to Hedges

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:31:14 MST 2012

Fair enough (although given your recent writings on "the psychological
dimensions of the black bloc," I think there's enough armchair
psychoanalysis to go around). But aside from the sheer misinformation
permeating so much of this critique, I continue to find it somehow
hilarious when Marxist-Leninists (whom I'm closer to than anarchists these
days) complain that a movement launched by anarchists (many of whom
sometimes engage in that certain tactic), and which initially grew out of
prior anarchist efforts, seems to have the characteristics (political,
organizational, and tactical) of anarchism more than Marxist-Leninism.
WELL, OF COURSE IT DOES! And ANSWER looked a lot more Marxist-Leninist,
while UFPJ had an unpleasant aroma of the Democratic Party. How else would
anyone expect these things to work?

There's plenty of room for critiques of black bloc tactics, or anarchist
ideas and organizing methods, within Occupy. But meaningful ones would have
to begin with acknowledgement that the movement under discussion was
launched, at very least in large part, by anarchist black bloc participants
and sympathizers. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the founders of a
movement, but leaving that part out seems a little disingenuous. And if
someone genuinely doesn't know it, well, it casts a certain pall on
whatever they have to say.

Apropos of nothing: Glancing at your recent blog posts, and recalling our
past exchanges, I think I've identified another one of your irrational
grudges: black jeans. What gives? I mean, how do you get worked up over
THAT?

I guess I am still a little annoyed that you told LBO-Talk subscribers that

--
lytlað."