[Marxism] Is Iran's alleged nuke program more of a demographic than military threat to Israel, to be dealt with by expulsion of Palestinians?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Feb 12 15:09:51 MST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> I'd say unlikely but not inconceivable.
>
> 1. The US could get drawn in if Iran retaliates, as it has
> threatened to do, by closing the Strait of Hormuz and driving oil to
> $300 [??] a barrel. Oil importers like the Europeans would support
> the opening of the Strait, and the Chinese would probably quietly go
> along.

That's a local, not general, war--and it would be very very profitable
to some important capitalist interests.

> 2. The Arab ruling class fears the Iranians more than the Israelis.
> They would protest ethnic cleansing operations, but I don't expect
> they'd join Iran, Hezbollah, and Hamas in a war against Israel, and
> when has condemnation ever stopped these "population transfers" from
> taking place?

But population transfers manu militari across international borders
are acts of war of the most intolerable sort.  The Egyptian and
Jordanian regimes could not survive a single day if they acquiesced,
the Lebanese government is dominated by Hezbollah, Iraq is a
dependency of Iran (thanks to Bush's faith-based solution to the
Saddam Hussein problem), and if the Syrian Muslim Brothers replace
Assad they would be even less likely to submit under Israeli aggression.

It would be a general war, not a kerfluffle in the Strait of Hormuz.