[Marxism] Being a communist in 2012

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 13 15:03:58 MST 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Sun Eagle wrote:

> With all due respect, this quote is taken out of context. Zabala is
> arguing that communism is no longer of any political relevance, and
> to take it up as a political cause is worse than futile
> "It is precisely in its great weakness as a political force that
> communism can be recuperated as an authentic alternative to
> capitalism. But the fact that it has virtually disappeared from
> Western politics, that is, as an electoral programme, does not imply
> it is not valuable as a social motivation or alternative." Excuse
> me? "Social motivation"? This is the language of Maslov, not Marx.
> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/02/201223111316317303.html
> 'Being a communist in 2012 is not a political choice, but rather an
> existential matter.

Nattering on about the sad state of "Being," Prof. Zabala sounds
infinitely closer to Heidegger and his comrades than to Trotsky and his.
But he surely would blush at the comparison to a Nazi.
Anyway, I wonder what the Zabalan/Heideggerian answer is to the
question--which alternative[*] describes "Being," and which "Not
Being?":

To be, or not to be? that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler
In the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or
To take arms against a sea of troubles and, by opposing, end them. To
die...

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities
that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying
attention to"

[*]Of course, the "alternatives"--"being" and "not-being"-- are false,
reflecting the stupid but virtually universal misreading of Hamlet's
soliloquy as contemplation of suicide.  No one can understand Hamlet
without recognizing the *unspoken* word that starts the question:
  		[T'is] to be, or not to be?