[Marxism] On Lenin's Tomb

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:16:17 MST 2012

I think I may be falling in love with Richard Seymour.  His piece on the
crisis of the Murdoch press in England was soooo good.  It was full of that
brutal dark Ulster humour which I love when it is directed at the powerful.
These sentences are superb:
*
"That the arrest of several of its journalists has turned these
thugs<http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/2012/02/exposed-the-bullying-culture-at-the-sun/>into
champions of privacy, of civil liberties and of human rights, is no
irony.  It is just the usual vulgar hypocrisy, with a delicious voltage of
despair and fright coursing through it."*

His remarks on the Greek crisis are also spot on.  He can feel the
importance of the struggle, where poor old MRzine cannot. He writes

*"If an election were held tomorrow, and one must be held quite soon, the
parties currently straddling the parliamentary apparatus would be shown in
their true, depleted form.  PASOK's risible vote would make Nick Clegg piss
himself.*
*
*
*But this is the least of it.  What is driving these fractures, this sudden
rushing of forces under new banners and away from their traditional
banners, is the radicalisation of the workers' struggle.  Two general
strikes in one week, mass civil unrest, routine protests and riots... and
underlying this ferment a series of ongoing industrial actions and
occupations, forms of militancy which germinally - only germinally - pose
the question of workers' power, of direct democracy.  It is what happens on
this account, this side of the balance, that will determine how permanent,
how salvageable, the Greek bourgeoisie's crisis is. (my emphasis)"*

My only comment here is that I am not at all sure that an election will be
held.  There is no "must". What will be decisive will be whether the seeds
of workers' power take institutional shape. This is only beginning, but the
Greek working class must fight now and must take power or go under for at
least a generation.

A column in today's guardian by the Keynesian economist David Blanchflower
is also worth a qui9ch read.  for him the Greek situation could plunge the
world economy into a "spiral of death".  Strong language for a bourgeois
ideologist.  He writes

"For all the deals being signed in Athens and Brussels, the Greek people
have worked out that they have no hope; protest and social unrest now looks
a rational option to the ordinary
people<http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/13/eurozone-crisis-greece-austerity-package-vote>who
are bearing the cost to bail out European banks. Cuts in the minimum
wage right now are probably not very smart politics. "

There is a distinct whiff of fear behind these remarks.  Let us hope that
events take the shape Richard outlines and Blanchflower can be even more
afraid.

comradely

Gary