[Marxism] Best political memoirs

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 15 15:30:41 MST 2012

On 2/15/12 5:18 PM, sandia wrote:
> I'm looking for some reading recommendations. What are the best political
> memoirs people have read? I am specifically curious about memoirs that shed
> light on different national experiences in the international communist
> movement during the 20th century. I'd also be interested in memoirs of the
> WWII anti-fascist resistance. But anything else you could recommend would
> also be appreciated.
>
> I'm reading Ngo Van's memoir on early Vietnamese communism right now --
> very interesting.

I strongly recommend Junius Scales's "Cause at Heart". He was a CP
leader from North Carolina who was imprisoned for a Smith Act violation.
He has some great scenes describing his friendship with mafia boss
Vincente Gigante in Sing Sing, the guy who used to feign senility by
walking around Greenwich Village in a bathrobe.