[Marxism] [UCE] Early communists?

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:36:07 MST 2012

I started reading this before noting the author's name and became
absolutely enchanted by its mastery of the material and the accessibility
of the ideas.   Then, I saw it was Paul Buhle's, which explained everything.

Robin Hood was a boyhood hero, even though the Cold War school system
actually spang a few Robin Hood stories on us to present us with the kicker
that he was a dangerous fellow and, possibly, a kind of communist.  It was
probably a factor in why I later started looking kindly upon communists.

>From "Robin and Marion" (1976) . . . .

*Robin Hood <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000125/>*: I wouldn't have you in
my service, nobleman. I've known your kind all my life. You're everything
I'm meant to fight. *You're* the enemy. You gobble good red meat, and we
get bread and cheese. The laws can't touch you and there's no crime you can
be punished for, and we can shoot a deer and have our eyes put out. This is
*my* forest. I'll live here as I like. You come in again, I'll kill you.

ML