[Marxism] Debate over Occupy tactics: an invented controversy

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 16 15:39:56 MST 2012

On Feb 16, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> , the perspective is very much in line with that of French leftist
> supporters of the FLN. Dr. Pierre Chaulet, who was sheltering FLN
> leader Ramdane Abane[murdered by a rival FLN faction], observed: "I
> see hardly any difference between the girl who places a bomb in the
> Milk-Bar and the French aviator who bombards a mechta [village] or
> who drops a napalm on a zone interdite."

The statement was true--and from it there follows that there was
hardly any difference between the FLN and the French colonialists.
Which, from the perspective of the Algerian masses after the
experience of the fascist regime imposed by the FLN, is indisputable.
As is the statement that *every* Algerian worker, peasant, or student
would be vastly better off today in terms of material well-being,
political freedom, and human rights under Soustelle's proposed
solution: full equalization of rights and status in a democratic
republic integrating Algerians and French.

When Chirac rhetorically asked the Algerian youth in Algiers what they
wanted from France, the answer came from a hundred thousand voices:
"des visas! des visas!"

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities
that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying
attention to"