[Marxism] Leftist scholar John Coatsworth named Columbia provost

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 17 11:20:51 MST 2012

John Coatsworth books:
Latin America and the World Economy Since 1800, edited with Alan
M. Taylor (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1999).
The United States and Central America: The Clients and the
Colossus (New York: Twayne, 1994).

Growth Against Development: The Economic Impact of Railroads in
Porfirian Mexico (DeKalb: Northern Illinois University Press,
1981); Spanish editions: Mexico, Sep Setentas, 1976; second
edition, Mexico, Ediciones Era, 1984.

 From wiki article on Coatsworth:

In the now defunct newspaper The New York Sun one Cuban American
scholar criticized Coatsworth's preface to a book on "The Cuban
Economy at the Start of the Twenty-First Century" on the grounds
that Coatsworth's claim that Cuba's economy was only one of two in
Latin America that grew in the 1980s was based on false data
supplied by Cuban institutions that Coatsworth ought to have known
were mouthpieces for government propaganda. Coatsworth had
actually cited data published by the OECD and the World Bank.

---

Dear fellow members of the Columbia community:

I am writing to say that I have asked John Coatsworth, who has
served as an extraordinarily effective interim University Provost
since last summer, to continue on as the permanent Provost.

As Columbia's chief academic officer, the Provost is responsible
for ensuring that the University's programs and faculty are of the
very highest quality.  During the past seven months, John has
demonstrated consummate skill in leading Columbia forward on a
host of complex matters critical to our future, including the
establishment of a Standing Tenure Committee; continued progress
on the University's Initiative to Enhance Faculty and Pipeline
Diversity; remediation of a structural budget deficit which had
long burdened the Faculty of Arts and Sciences; and coordination
of Columbia's proposal to New York City for a new Institute for
Data Sciences and Engineering.  These initiatives reflect John's
determination to enlist the resources of the University for the
purpose of strengthening partnerships between and among Columbia's
distinguished schools and departments, with the goal of making the
University and its reputation greater than the sum of its parts.

The many deans, faculty members and administrators who have worked
with John in this capacity have found him to be an exemplary
partner in advancing these and other initiatives to enhance
Columbia's mission and values.  With a combination of great
intellectual insight and personal grace, he has been able to focus
on the critical intersection between academic excellence and the
quality of life for faculty, students, and staff.  These are
challenging tasks for anyone, and John has taken them on with
enthusiasm and effectiveness.

John's distinguished background as both a scholar and
administrator includes his successful tenure as Dean of our School
of International and Public Affairs, a post from which he will now
step down.  A highly respected expert on Latin American
international and economic history, John taught at the University
of Chicago from 1969 to 1992, and then joined the Harvard faculty
as Monroe Gutman Professor of Latin American Affairs, where he
became the founding director of the David Rockefeller Center for
Latin American Studies.  John is a former president of the
American Historical Association and the Latin American Studies
Association, and a member of the American Academy of Arts and
Sciences and the Council on Foreign Relations.

In a remarkably short time, John has been a transformational dean
at SIPA, leading the school's transition into a fully
self-governing unit of the University.  I am committed to ensuring
that the progress he has made at the school continues and have
therefore asked Vice Dean for Academic Affairs at SIPA, Robert C.
Lieberman, Professor of International and Public Affairs and
Political Science, to serve as SIPA's dean on an interim basis
while an advisory group assists us in conducting a search for a
permanent dean in the months ahead.  An expert in the areas of
American political development, social welfare policy and race and
politics, Robert has been honored with multiple awards and prizes.

I am, personally, very pleased that John will serve in this vital
University role and as my colleague.  Columbia is such an
extraordinary institution, with momentum on so many fronts, and a
potential unmatched by any other university in the world, and it
is a gift to all of us that John will bring his wonderful talents
to bear the work ahead.

Sincerely,

Lee C. Bollinger