[Marxism] Wallerstein: why al-Assad remains in power

Sun Eagle suneagle79 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 15:49:24 MST 2012

This is a soft-core apology, and apologia, for Assad, who is not a tyrant but "widely regarded as a tyrant, and a bloody one at that." But, since this is the same Immanuel Wallerstein who confidently predicted last year that there would be no NATO war on Gadhaffi, "because Russia and China would block it in the Security Council", you'll pardon me if I'm wary of his powers of prophethood.
The idea that "the USA, Saudi Arabia and Israel secretly want Assad to stay in power" in order to ensure security in the region, but dare not say so openly for  fear of public opinion, is a conspiracy theory that even the WWP could not dream up.

BTW, I first encountered Immanuel's writings back in UCLA grad. school, where, in an article on world-systems theory, he cited the then very much alive Kim Il Sung as an important political economist. Nuf said.

"The Syrian Impasse"
By Immanuel Wallerstein

Friday, February 17, 2012

Bachar al-Assad has risen to the heights of being one of the least popular men in the world. full: http://www.zcommunications.org/the-syrian-impasse-by-immanuel-wallerstein