[Marxism] North America's first black bloc

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 09:35:49 MST 2012

Louis quoted Katsiaficas:

> To put it
mildly, the movement often fails to establish peaceful and supportive
community, and it also contains a dose of German national pride.

I have no idea what the hell Katsiaficas is talking about in that passage.  The Autonomen and successors have been among the most consistently anti-national leftists around.

There has been a tendency in recent years for Neo-Nazi groups to adopt a sort of "black bloc chic", calling themselves "autonome Nationalisten" and wearing clothing previously associated with the left, like black hoodies, Che t-shirts, Keffiyahs, etc., but the "autonome Nationalisten" are explicitly Nazi groups, not wayward leftists who have adopted nationalist politics.

All the stuff he says about machismo etc., however is generally right on, but I would argue it was more prevalent in the Antifa movement of the 1990s, which was comprised of a different political generation than the classical Autonomen of the 1980s.

Finally, I think Louis' historical outlines are generally ok, but whether it's his intention or not, I think it's creating the impression that the classical Autonomen = black blocs.  The movement was much broader than that.