[Marxism] [Pen-l] Leftist scholar John Coatsworth named Columbia provost

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 21 13:25:21 MST 2012

On 2/21/12 3:17 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Really? How many?

I would guess about 15 percent based on the classes I have taken there.

> I know a lot of Columbia faculty&  students -- you can't help it here,
> it's a company town -- and I must say that in my experience, compared
> to other first- and second-tier credential retailers, Columbia has
> about the most conventional, cautious, don't-rock-the-boat cadre and
> customers of all. One gets the very strong impression that after 1968
> management swore a mighty oath: Never Again! And took steps to implement
> it.

That's not been my experience at all. But in any case, we favor having
as many Marxist professors at Columbia as possible even when they are
more like my idiotic film studies professor than like Eric Foner.

> The waitstaff -- erm, professioriate -- mostly seem to be perfectly
> nice liberal Upper West Side people, deeply disgusted with
> the Teabaggers and other bien-pensant betes noires, but that's about
> as far as it generally goes.

I understand that some of them own sailboats.