[Marxism] Iranian feminists on the need for solidarity

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 22 06:18:02 MST 2012

(I am intrigued to see their reference to Western leftist support for
Ahmadinejad as "lesser evil" politics. Exactly.)

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/683/solidarity-and-its-discontents
Solidarity and Its Discontents
9 Feb 19 2011 by Raha Iranian Feminist Collective

While building solidarity between activists in the U.S. and Iran can be
a powerful way of supporting social justice movements in Iran,
progressives and leftists who want to express solidarity with Iranians
are challenged by a complicated geopolitical terrain. The U.S.
government shrilly decries Iran’s nuclear power program and expands a
long-standing sanctions regime on the one hand, and Iranian President
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad makes inflammatory proclamations and harshly
suppresses Iranian protesters and dissidents on the other. Solidarity
activists are often caught between a rock and a hard place, and many
choose what they believe are the “lesser evil” politics. In the case of
Iran, this has meant aligning with a repressive state leader under the
guise of “anti-imperialism” and “populism,” or supporting “targeted”
sanctions.

As members of a feminist collective founded in part to support the
massive post-election protests in Iran in 2009, while opposing all forms
of US intervention, we take this opportunity to reflect on the meaning
and practice of transnational solidarity between US-based activists and
sections of Iranian society. In this article, we look at the remarkable
situation in which both protests against and expressions of support for
Ahmadinejad are articulated under the banner of support for the “Iranian
people.” In particular, we examine the claims of critics of the Iranian
regime who have advocated the use of “targeted sanctions” against human
rights violators in the Iranian government as a method of solidarity.
Despite their name, these sanctions trickle down to punish broader
sections of the population. They also stand as a stunning example of
American power and hypocrisy, since no country dare sanction the US for
its illegal wars, torture practices and program of extrajudicial
assassinations. We then assess the positions of some “anti-imperialist”
activists who not only oppose war and sanctions on Iran but also defend
Ahmadinejad as a populist president expressing the will of the majority
of the Iranian people. In fact, Ahmadinejad’s aggressive neo-liberal
economic policies represent a right-wing attack on living standards and
on various social welfare provisions established after the revolution.
And finally, we offer an alternative notion of and method for building
international solidarity “from below,” one that offers a way out of
“lesser evil” politics and turns the focus away from the state and onto
those movement activists in the streets.

(clip)