[Marxism] The political "crisis" in Oz

Scott Hamilton shamresearch at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Feb 25 14:58:26 MST 2012

Hi Gary,
I see your point about the essential triviality of the fight between Rudd and Gilliard, but is regional distrust of the big southern cities and the 'political elite' in Canberra a factor in the popular support for Rudd? Queensland does seem to be an extraordinarily parochical, reactionary place, especially in the countryside, where Rudd grew up. I wonder whether Rudd, with his stories of being forced from the family farm by bankers, and his self-identification (ludicrous, of course) as a man outside the political establishment, has tapped into some of that spirit? I blogged recently about Carl Rackemann's decision to throw in his lot with the Katter Australian Party, and the longstanding connections to extreme right politics in the Rackemann family and its rural Queensland stomping ground:http://www.readingthemaps.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/peanuts-and-politics.html