[Marxism] Nikolas Kozloff - The authoritarian left goes awry: from the Arab Spring to Latin America

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 08:36:05 MST 2012

Well given his first paragraph announcement that he was gunning for
"Stalinists," I was somewhat bemused to then find out the "Stalinists" he
was thinking of were Dreyfuss, Cockburn and Chomsky.

PS: Also at Al Jazeera today, in a news article on the latest Syria
developments, we find this:

"Meanwhile, the White House said al-Qaeda's
efforts<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/02/201221794018300979.html>to
take advantage of the violence in Syria meant it was not the time to
begin sending arms to opponents of Assad.

"Without getting into assessments of our intelligence capabilities, I would
simply say that we are aware of the fact that al-Qaeda and other extremists
are seeking to take advantage of the situation created by Assad's brutal
assault on the opposition," Jay Carney, the White House spokesman, said.

"Carney said applying political pressure on Assad to leave office and to
cease the military crackdown on dissidents was a better option than sending
in weapons.

"Now is not the time to further militarise the situation in Syria," he
added."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/02/20122295313434656.html

This follows a "Friends of Syria" conference which contrary to some
predictions did NOT come out for military intervention.

This doesn't mean it won't happen, and we have to mobilize now against the
possibility (including by attending UNAC's 3/23-25 conference).

But I find it interesting that not only is Washington apparently uncertain
about whether it can intervene, but that it cloaks this uncertainty in
warnings about rebel guns falling into Al Qaeda's hands.