[Marxism] PBS Frontline documentary on Fukushima

ehrbar at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu ehrbar at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu
Wed Feb 29 10:32:16 MST 2012

Lou wrote:

> I watched the first 30 minutes of this last night and plan to
> watch it in its entirety tonight on the PBS website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/japans-nuclear-meltdown/

I watched it and I think it needs to be criticized.  There
are many issues which are not addressed.  I am not an expert
on this, I only followed it tangentially, and some of the
points below may be anti-nuke distortions, but I don't think
all are:

The stupidity of spent fuel storage right next to the
reactors was not addressed

The errors of having the backup generators in the basement
was not pointed out.

Why does the Japanese government refuse to measure radiation?

Where did all the radioactive water go?

Did Tepco not do certain things they could have done because
they wanted to protect their investment?

I have seen rumors that the malfunctioning happened before
the tsunami hit, and the tsunami was used to cover up
other flaws in the project.

It will take a while before a definite account of this can
be written.  The frontline piece pretends to be critical but
in reality it is pro-nuke propaganda.  The reality is
probably much worse than they are letting on.

Hans