[Marxism] Robin Hahnel on economic suicide

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 17:41:08 MST 2012

A tale of two metaphors...

I also like the nest metaphor, Michael, but my point was that there were *
two* nests in Hohnel's thinking.  One fouled (ours)and one not (theirs).
That describes very well the status quo.  But it fails to realise the
meaning that we are all in one nest on this planet. to treat the world as
if there were two nests is a recipe for either the mutual destruction of
all classes or the destruction of the ruling class. Either way the bastards
get destroyed.

My branch metaophor is meant to capture the feeling that the ruling class
of today almostfits perfectly into Carlyle's depiction of the aristocracy
in pre-revolutionary France.  Dickens as everyone knows turned the Carlyle
picture into "It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times".  Again
a version of the two nest theory.  But we know how that all ended up.  The
pigheaded stupidity of the aristocracy meant that a lot of them lost their
heads or in other words they sawed right through the branch.

comradely

Gary