[Marxism] ’5 Broken Cameras’ is reminiscent of ‘The Battle of Algiers’ (but the ‘NYT’ can’t tell you that)

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:51:42 MDT 2012

"5 Broken Cameras" co-directors Palestinian Emad Burnat and Israeli
Guy Davidi won the World Cinema Directing Award, Documentary at the
Sundance Film Festival early this year.
It played to full houses and got standing ovations.

Our local group Utahns for a Just Peace in the Holy Land helped Emad
overcome some visa/travel problems to get to Utah last January.
Because of my participation in the group i got to meet and talk with
Emad and Guy over dinner.

We helped to promote the film and had the satisfaction of developments
like this one reported on in the LDS (Mormon) Church owned daily
newspaper the Deseret News:

Sundance filmmakers make time to challenge high school students with
thought-provoking questions
by Jamshid Ghazi Askar

Deseret News
February 3, 2012

"Show and tell"
front page story w/ 5 pictures
weekend section, page C1

SALT LAKE CITY — On the ninth day of the 2012 Sundance Film Festival,
"5 Broken Cameras" co-directors Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi ascend to
the stage in a downtown theater that echoes yesteryear with a
low-hanging balcony and loud paisleys dotting the plush red carpeting.
More than 400 high school students sit in uncharacteristic silence,
eagerly absorbing every word emerging from the men's mouths.

Sundance is the largest independent film festival in the United
States. And as the 2012 event draws to a close, Burnat and Davidi
stand on the cusp of fame. The very next night the men will win
Sundance's World Cinema Directing Award for documentaries, and "5
Broken Cameras" is playing to rave reviews as it takes viewers to the
front lines of a Palestinian village's peaceful resistance against the
forceful Israeli seizure of ancestral farming land in order to build
new Jewish settlements.
. . .
full at:  <http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700221097/Show-and-tell-Sundance-filmmakers-make-time-to-challenge-high-school-students-with.html>