[Marxism] 46 percent of Americans think that the earth is less than 10, 000 years old

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jun 1 14:48:19 MDT 2012

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 22:08:38 +0200
Jeff <meisner at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I am rather amused/surprised/dismayed that every person responding to
> Lou's post tried in their own way to minimize the significance of the
> rather startling statistic cited in this poll.

But is it so startling, or so significant? Evolutionary biology is a
rather complex subject. Would it be so startling or so significant
if you asked people what they thought about quantum mechanics,
and they turned out to be ill-informed on the subject, or even
skeptical? What? The cat is neither alive nor dead until you look?
That's crazy talk.

> (I won't even address the outlandish remark that evolution, like
> all science, is a "liberal fetish!")

IIRC the point was that *insisting on belief* (and by implication,
deploring disbelief) in evolution was a liberal fetish. Not
quite the same thing.

As a matter of sociological fact, there's no possible doubt about
the accuracy of this observation; it's a real badge of honor among
the slightly more edumacated, sporting their fish-with-feet Darwin
bumper stickers. Though as noted, they hardly ever really know
the first thing about evolutionary theory; and they are generally
hopeless, incurable Democrats. The fish with feet occupies a place
on the bumper right next to the quiet blue Obama/Biden tranquilizer
pill.