[Marxism] 46 percent of Americans think that the earth is less than 10, 000 years old

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 2 09:50:52 MDT 2012

Louis Proyect
    lnp3 at panix.com

    Fri Jun  1 13:45:09 MDT 2012
Partial quote:
I don't think that agreeing with Darwinism is a sine qua non for
becoming a revolutionary but you can be damned sure that the
fascist mobs of the future will be drawn from the congregations of
Christian fundamentalism.
* * * * *
My point has been made by others as well.  Ignorance or backwardness on scientific questions is not a good predictor of response to political struggles.  A good example is the civil rights movement.  The best predictor of behaviour was whether a person was black or white.  Religious belief was strong on both sides of the struggle.
Fierce attachment to religious belief sometimes is rooted in social and political struggles.  An Irish woman I knew was told by her family that if she stopped being a Catholic, that would be a victory for the British.
						ken h