[Marxism] Pink Ribbons Inc.; Living Downstream; The Education of Dee Dee Ricks

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jun 2 19:20:31 MDT 2012

On 6/2/12 8:57 PM, Rod Holt wrote:
> I must communicate the most exciting —to me— scientific development
> in years: the invention of instruments that can isolate and examine
> DNA, etc. of single cells! This should make it possible to pin down
> exactly what happens when and how a cell becomes cancerous. That
> means that the interaction of chemicals, radiation and natural
> phenomenon and specific human cells can be examined not as
> statistical aggregates of millions of cells where a crucial change is
> lost lost amongst the crowd, but as a specific cause-effect event.

On a related note:

http://engineering.columbia.edu/using-robots-less-invasive-surgery
Using Robots for Less Invasive Surgery

A collaboration between Columbia Professors Peter Allen (Computer
Science, Columbia Engineering), Nabil Simaan (formerly Mechanical
Engineering at Columbia, now at Vanderbilt) and Dennis Fowler (Surgery,
Columbia University Medical Center) has resulted in an innovative new
approach to minimally invasive surgery. They have developed a novel
robotic platform for minimally invasive single-port surgery—Insertable
Robotic Effector Platform (IREP)—that they say is the world’s smallest
in required diameter (∅15 mm) that can enter the body while enabling
dual-arm-dexterous operation, 3-D visualization, and automated
instrument tracking. It was recently licensed to Titan Medical, Inc.

Patients prefer minimally invasive surgery because it results in smaller
scars, less pain, and a quicker recovery.  However, minimally invasive
surgery techniques such as laparoscopy often require multiple incisions
and a large team of personnel. As a result of reducing the size and
scope of the instruments, the difficulty of minimally invasive
procedures has increased significantly, often resulting in increased
operation time and cost. The techniques are simply too complex and too
costly for all surgeons and all hospitals to be able to provide them.

“Our IREP system represents an exciting new development in robotic
surgery,” says Allen. “Instead of multi-million-dollar large robotic
systems, this is a low-cost, minimally invasive, compact system that
includes state-of-the-art robotic arms and surgical instrumentation with
3-D stereo-vision imaging and a suite of intelligent software for
control and visualization to assist the surgeon.”

The IREP consists of a collapsible configuration for insertion into
natural orifices or through a small incision, a dual arm configuration
with seven degrees of freedom per arm, and a binocular camera for 3-D
visualization. The unique 3-D vision system, which includes two
controllable miniature cameras inside the body, can be used to
automatically track anatomical structures and surgical tools during a
procedure, providing real-time in-vivo viewing for the surgeon. Using
stereo reconstruction methods, surgeons can also model the patient’s
internal anatomy and register it with pre-operative CT, Ultrasound, or
MRI scans.

The IREP’S unique mechanical architecture includes snake-like continuum
robots with push-pull actuation, parallel linkages, and passively
flexible actuation stems. It has also been designed as a platform for
multi-modal use including energy and drug delivery and suction. This is
achieved through the use of tubular access channels within each surgical
arm.

“In contrast to existing systems, which are too large to be mounted on
the surgical bed, this device is so small that it can be easily
attached, allowing for quick orientation of the patient during surgery,”
says Fowler. “We anticipate that robots in the future can greatly
improve the care of surgical patients, and we are very excited about the
partnership with Titan. By reducing the invasiveness of surgery, we will
improve the outcome of surgery for patients, for surgeons, and for
hospitals.”

This research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health,
through the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering,
grant #R21EB00777