[Marxism] Syria people rise up against the massacre

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:51:25 MDT 2012

Just published 2 diaries on Daily Kos
Another "Houla style" massacre in Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/07/1098106/-Another-Houla-style-massacre-in-Syria>
published on this list with subject line *pro-Palestinian, but*

and

    Syria people rise up against the massacre
    <http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/07/1098256/-Syria-people-rise-up-against-the-massacre>

    *After #Houla "the time has come to thank #KofiAnnan for his
    services and send him back home to Geneva."*

So went a popular tweet after the Houla massacre.

Now, after the Al-Kubeir massacre, it is time to call the UN mission to
Syria for what it is, an enabler of massacres. Since, in the age of
Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, news of Assad's slaughter is bound to get
out, its simply not practical to do nothing, hence the Kofi Anon plan,
make speeches, send 300 monitors, etc. i.e. appear to be doing something
so long as it does nothing to stop the slaughter.

This was demonstrated most tragically in the case of yesterday's
massacre of men, women and children in the tiny Syrian settlement of
Al-Kubeir. According Mail Online
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155668/Syria-massacre-2012-Six-hours-slaughter-wiped-entire-village.html#ixzz1x7e3v3V8>
UN monitors are accused of ignoring 30 calls for assistance as the
massacre was taking place.

    A man who survived a massacre which left most of his village dead
    has described how his mother and six of his siblings - including
    10-year-old twins - were brutally executed.

    Leith al-Hamwy fled to an olive grove about 800 metres from the the
    tiny settlement of Al-Kubeir when soldiers closed in.

    He finally emerged from hiding to find the men - allegedly
    government troops - had set his home on fire. His family burned to
    death inside.

    'I saw bodies everywhere,' he said. 'Entire families shot or killed
    with sharp sticks and knives.'

    '(There were) burned bodies of children and women and girls were on
    the ground.

    'I saw something you cannot imagine. It was a horrifying massacre...
    people were executed and burned. Bodies of young men were taken away.'

    Around 100 people died at the site, many of them children. Eighteen
    homes had either been destroyed by shelling or burned down.
    He vented his fury at UN observers for not arriving at the scene on
    Wednesday when they were called 'about 30 times, begging them to
    come to Al-Kubeir to see what was happening.'

    'But they did not come. They might as well be working with the
    shabiha. We just can't take this any more... people are being
    killed, everything is a set-up, a lie. We only have God to rely on.
    Only God will help us.'
    He also blamed UN observers for not heading to the site of the
    massacre quickly.
    /
    *'When the army deployed there, and the shelling of around 20-25
    houses started, activists called the UN monitors, who said they
    could not go because it was late in the day."*/

"Late in the day?" I'll say! I think it time we tell the UN monitors
good night and good bye.

The Syrian people are organizing their own response to these atrocities.
This just in
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GkQflReXKsOHNP8SAsHBfLPFCUD74osKR1hhZDAAVpk/edit?pli=1>:

    *Revolution Leadership Council of Damascus | Media Committee

    *

    *Damascus -- Thursday, June. 7th, 2012*

    /_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_/

    /*Midday Report - for Media Outlets*/

    /*exceptional: about the dynamic in Damascus after the Massacre of
    "al-Qubeir"
    *
    _//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_//_/__

    *Damascus was heated with late demos as people took to the streets
    in different areas of the city in protest to the Massacre. the
    following areas has witnessed late demonstrations:
    *
    *Qaboun* | people took to the street in a spontaneous demo despite
    the sounds of gunfire and blasts in the quarter

    *New Zahira* |

    *
    Ruken Eddin* | Regime forces faced protesters who took to the street
    after midnight with live ammunition and hand grenades. protesters
    made a prayer for the victims

    http://youtu.be/... <http://youtu.be/yd6iqZ77ALg>

    http://youtu.be/... <http://youtu.be/wdhXwIXCgzA>

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GcXUBTtiA>

    another demo in the quarter

    https://www.youtube.com/...
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-fQEnCSYJSY>

    *Khaled bin al-Walid St*. |

    http://youtu.be/... <http://youtu.be/7JZUrEpa_J8>

    *Midan* |

        a demo was staged after midnight in protest to the massacre
    committed in Hama (no video available)
        another demo was staged after dawn

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8pm-o_paQ>

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSpQ3R1UOIA>

        A morning demo was staged in Dakkak in solidarity with Hama

    https://www.facebook.com/...
    <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=478013422214795>
    *al-Hajar al-Asswad* |

        a campaign of graffiti writings on the walls calling for a
    strike in solidarity with the victims of al-Qubeir Massacre

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgjn9UBkHM>

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT_th3yJpTY>

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Rin9anvyI>

        An interview with the activist spraying the walls with writings

    http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poj2Absn4pc>

      * Qudsayya* |
        A demo was staged after dawn in solidarity with Hama

    http://youtu.be/... <http://youtu.be/4i7x1CYatJo>

    |=||=||=||=||=||=||=||=||=||=||=
    The dynamic in Damascus since morning till 5:00 pm
    *
    Al-Hajar al-Asswad* ||

    |    A demo staged in solidarity with Hama and al-Haffa and the
    distressed cities|

    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScs5h2LAm8>|

    |http://www.youtube.com/...
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RliQtP95RFg>|

    |    A general strike in the quarter in protest to al-Qubeir massacre|

    |http://www.youtube.com/... <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8bcTtliRdc>
    *Mezzeh* ||

    |    A victim called "Mutaz Baha Haroub" was buried under security
    surveillance and siege by seven people only. The victim was killed
    earlier by the regime forces and his dead body was abducted by the
    regime forces.|

    |https://www.facebook.com/...
    <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429064357115405>
    *Kaber Atika* ||

    |    A civilian called "Iyad Ibrahim Zarzar" was shot dead in Qazzaz
    Quarter yesterday evening. and his funeral is staged today in the
    afternoon.|

    *End of the Midday Report*

    5:00 pm (Syria Time)