[Marxism] Liberation as Death Sentence

Thomas Bias tgbias at ptd.net
Mon Jun 11 14:24:44 MDT 2012

In the Indian Territory, present-day Oklahoma, there was a civil war within
the Civil War. Among the Cherokees, in the territory where my father's
family lived, there was a lot of score settling between the Ridge party
(those who accepted the Treaty of New Echota, which removed them) and the
Ross party (which opposed and resisted removal). Stand Watie, the only
Native American to be promoted to the rank of General during the Civil War
(in the Confederate army) was a cousin (possibly nephew, I'm not sure) of
Major Ridge and the leader of the Ridge party after Ridge himself was
assassinated. The Ridge party was unanimous in its support of the
Confederacy. The Ross party on paper also supported the Confederacy (John
Ross himself was a slaveowner, and his brother was a slave trader), but a
great many of the Ross party supported the Union side, mainly to fight
against the Ridge party, I suspect. The secretive Keetoowah society, which
promoted tribal traditions, was strongly supportive of the Union; the former
Principal Chief, Chad Smith, is a descendant of Keetoowah members who fought
for the Union. ~Tom