[Marxism] Hungarian politics

John Obrien causecollector at msn.com
Wed Jun 13 14:33:54 MDT 2012

Appreciated this article on post-Soviet Hungary. One recent thing to add was the forbidding this year of the annual Gay Pride parade and eventsin Hungary's capital.  This while nearby Poland reversed its past positions and provided permitsfor Warsaw Gay Pride parade after several years of blocking a parade and clebrations there. Not enough of those on this Marxist list state this - but I really do appreciate this list as a good informationsource on world history and Marxist views and politics. > Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:01:12 -0400
> From: lnp3 at panix.com
> Subject: [Marxism] Hungarian politics
> To: causecollector at msn.com
>

> http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n12/jan-werner-muller/longing-for-greater-hungary
>
> Longing for Greater Hungary
> Jan-Werner Müller
>

 > ‘Putinisation’ of Hungary. Thanks to his government’s undermining
> of the rule of law, Hungary risks being the first EU member state
> to be sanctioned for violating ‘shared European values’. In
> central Budapest paramilitaries in black uniforms patrol the
> streets – they are supposedly ‘fighting Gypsy crime’ – and
> tourists emerging from the beautifully restored Fin de Siècle
> Kaffeehäuser are liable to find themselves facing an angry crowd
> burning the EU flag. What happened? And why in Hungary?
>    parliament is being cleared of undesirable monuments,

 The