[Marxism] Interesting exchange under my blog piece about Walter Russell Mead

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 17 18:43:05 MDT 2012

Hugo B:
Yes, Mr. P., we don’t have the luxury of waiting around for the Messiah.
We humble folks of the working class need proactivity. The problem I
have with The Left is that when I attended a recent function, the
average age was deceased! It reminded me more of a loopy Theosophy
Meeting I attended in Chicago in the late 70′s with weird looking older
people, some with strangely unkempt hair and bizarre offbeat attire. I’m
thinking to myself, is this the vanguard?

---

Jim:

Dear Hugo B.

You are obviously not in touch with the contemporary US revolutionary
left, made up almost entirely of people under 35 -- in other words, the
generation subjected to one of the most radical periods of transferring
social costs onto the backs of the working class. Our generation faces a
situation of despair, ruin, indebtedness, political nihilism,
old-folks-cynicism, mainstream political cretinism, and no future. You
would benefit greatly by contacting the student, youth, people of color,
and young working class movement in your local city. What you might find
is in fact a vibrant undercurrent of dignity facing a situation that
your generation, weaned on the massive capitalist high growth of the
50s, did not have to contend with. The "humble folks of the working
class" are the young black, brown, yellow, red, and white youth on your
streets today. Go meet them - they're everywhere.