[Marxism] Prometheus: the Tea Party in Space

Daniel Lindvall daniel.lindvall at filmint.nu
Tue Jun 19 06:41:05 MDT 2012

That would all be very "Lost" and perhaps this is how it will all be explained in "Prometheus 0: The Prequel". But looking at the film we have so far it's a rather far-fetched idea. The conflict between David the Android and Charlize Theron as the ship's commander is presented clearly as being the "patriarchal" conflict between the real child who is "only" a daughter and the android who is "almost a son".

As for the android infecting the male hero of the film, the scientist Holloway, he does so when Holloway is in a miserable state believing the whole project, his life-work, is a failure. David then asks what he would do or sacrifice to know the truth and Holloway answers that he'd do anything or give up anything. Only then does David apparently decide to infect Holloway. It seems as if David is trying to make his own moral judgment here, rather than simply follow orders. Doing so he tries to understand human thinking but of course fails completely as a real human would understand that a sober Holloway having slept on it would probably think differently and that anyway he probably doesn't really mean what he is saying literally even at the time. "The villain" here seems to be David's built-in drive for knowledge at almost, though not quit, hence the interrogation, any price.

Website: http://filmint.nu/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FilmInt
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/FilmInt