[Marxism] The University of Virginia fracas

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 25 13:56:48 MDT 2012

Over a 22 year career in Columbia University’s IT department, I
naturally followed administrative affairs at other universities. I
began reading Chronicle of Higher Education back in 1990 mostly as
a way of keeping up-to-date with “back office” concerns,
especially how computer systems were being used. After a few
months, I discovered that this trade magazine could also be relied
upon for useful coverage of “the culture wars”, such as Ward
Churchill’s firing, etc.

When I first got wind of the forced resignation of the University
of Virginia’s President Teresa Sullivan, I wrote it off as some
kind of turf battle. As a kind of relic of the medieval world,
universities tend to divide into fiefdoms so firings and forced
resignations are par for the course. But after a while it became
obvious that what happened there had a lot more to do with what’s
happening in American society over the past decade or so as the
corporate elites of one percent infamy tighten their control over
every aspect of our lives, including the Ivory Tower.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/the-university-of-virginia-fracas/