[Marxism] BREAKING: NATO says No War in Syrian shoot down of Turkish jet

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 05:20:38 MDT 2012

Follow clayclai on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/clayclai>

For the earlier developments in this fast breaking story see my last dairy:
BREAKING: #Turkey calls #Syria attack "hostile act" on #NATO
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/25/1103120/-BREAKING-Turkey-calls-attack-hostile-act-on-NATO>

NATO has just concluded the consultation meeting called by Turkey after
its reconnaissance jet was shot down by Syria. They did not decided to
take any military action at this time. Article 5 was not invoked. They
just issued the following statement
<http://www.nato.int/cps/en/SID-3E1CD386-07A55799/natolive/news_88652.htm>:

    *NAC Statement on the shooting down of a Turkish aircraft by Syria*
    26-Jun-2012 11:44 Brussels

    *The North Atlantic Council has met at Turkey's request to hold
    consultations within the framework of Article 4 of the Washington
    Treaty which states that /"the Parties will consult whenever, in the
    opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political
    independence, or security of any of the Parties is threatened."/*

    The North Atlantic Council discussed the shooting down of a Turkish
    aircraft by Syria. We consider this act to be unacceptable and
    condemn it in the strongest terms. It is another example of the
    Syrian authorities' disregard for international norms, peace and
    security, and human life.

    Our thoughts at this difficult time are with the missing Turkish
    aircrew, their families and their loved ones. We continue to follow
    the situation closely and with great concern, and will remain seized
    of developments on the South-Eastern border of NATO.

    The security of the Alliance is indivisible. We stand together with
    Turkey in the spirit of strong solidarity.

AP released
<http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268781/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=a4Zv7D45> this
at 3:18am pst:

    *Turkey threatens Syria with retaliation*

    ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey's prime minister, responding to the
    downing of a Turkish jet by Syrian forces, said Tuesday that Turkish
    military will respond to any future violation of its border by
    Syrian military elements.

    /"The rules of engagement of the Turkish Armed Forces have
    changed,"/ Recep Tayyip Erdogan said. /"Any military element that
    approaches the Turkish border from Syria by posing a security risk
    and danger will be regarded as a threat and treated as a military
    target."/

    Syria insists that the Turkish plane violated its air space on
    Friday. But Turkey says that although the unarmed RF-4E
    reconnaissance jet had unintentionally strayed into Syria's air
    space, it was inside international airspace when it was brought down.
    NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the alliance
    condemns it /"in the strongest terms,"/ and expressed solidarity
    with Turkey, but made no mention of retaliatory action.

    Erdogan said Syria shot down the unarmed plane in international
    airspace in a 'deliberate' and 'hostile' act and without warning. He
    said border violations in the region were not uncommon. He said
    Syrian helicopters violated Turkish airspace five times recently,
    without Turkish response.

    /"No one should be deceived by our cold blooded stance,"/ Erdogan
    said. /"Our acting with common sense should not be perceived as a
    weakness."
    /

Here are my related diaries:
NATO meetup tomorrow as more defect from Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/25/1102953/-NATO-meetup-tomorrow-as-more-defect-from-Syria>
BREAKING: Turkey calls for NATO consult on downing of jet by Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/24/1102679/-BREAKING-Turkey-calls-for-NATO-consult-on-downing-of-jet-by-Syria>
BREAKING: Senior Syrian Officers Defect
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/22/1102306/-BREAKING-Senior-Syriab-Officers-Defect>
UPDATED: Russia reported to be preparing to evacuate from Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/21/1102049/-BREAKING-Russia-reported-to-be-preparing-to-evacuate-from-Syria>
BREAKING: Syria fighter pilot defects
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/21/1101868/-BREAKING-Syria-figther-pilot-defects>
BREAKING: Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for
Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/18/1101177/-BREAKING-Britain-stops-Russian-ship-carrying-attack-helicopters-for-Syria>
BREAKING: Russian troops headed to Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/16/1100648/-BREAKING-Russian-troops-headed-to-Syria>
Qaddafi forces Strike Back in Libya
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/16/1100490/-Qaddafi-forces-strikeback-in-Libya>
BREAKING: UN suspends mission in Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/16/1100557/-BREAKING-UN-suspends-mission-in-Syria>
Libya & Syria - two videos - no comment
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/15/1100462/-Libya-Syria-two-videos-no-comment>
BREAKING: Russia denies supplying Syria with NEW attack helicopters
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/13/1099662/-BREAKING-Russia-denies-supplying-Syria-with-NEW-attack-helicopters>
Syrian people rise up against the massacre
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/07/1098256/-Syria-people-rise-up-against-the-massacre>
Another "Houla style" massacre in Syria
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/07/1098106/-Another-Houla-style-massacre-%20in-Syria>
Fake Houla Massacre Photo: Was the BBC set up?
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/30/1095933/-Fake-Houla-Massacre-Photo-Was-the-BBC-set-up>
Idlib, Syria protest today on anniversary of Kent State killings
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/04/1088711/-Idlib-Syria-protest-today-Assad-must-go>
BREAKING: Massive protests in Syria following Friday pray
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/20/1084953/-BREAKING-Massive-protests-in-Syria-following-Friday-pray>
Syria is bleeding
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/13/1083012/-Syria-is-bleeding>
Syria: Ceasefire faltering as mass protests breakout
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/12/1082762/-Syria-Cease-Fire-takes-hold-as-mass-protests-breakout>

    Clay Claiborne, Producer
    Vietnam: American Holocaust <http://vietnamamericanholocaust.com/>
    Linux Beach